Saturday

"A Mound Over Hell" a book by Gary Morgenstein


It was with a bit of surprise that I received a message from Gary Morgenstein asking me to do a review of his book.

I quite enjoy doing book reviews and through the years Gary has been a Wi-Fi friend of mine.  I also did a review of other books of his, more on this later.

At any rate, the book to be reviewed here is “A Mound Over Hell” and there is one problem I had with the book.

I am, at this time, unable to finish this so-far-fine read.  I could bore yon reader with my tale of a coronary bypass, my eyes not focusing, my need for a coronary valve next and on and on.

BUT….I did at this time, read fully half the book and I promise yon readers, and Mr. Morgenstein himself, to firm out the  review by years end at the latest.  I have some thought on what I have already read and will write my thoughts of the ending when my eyes work again.

I WILL, I emphasize, give a review because I am at a point where I follow the plot and characters and am anxious to know the ending..

Below are links to my reviews on three other books by Morgenstein, dating back to 2009.

https://fishbookreviews.blogspot.com/2010/01/morgenstein.html

https://fishbookreviews.blogspot.com/2009/10/11109.html

https://fishbookreviews.blogspot.com/2009/07/8909.html

Below is the paragraph from the back of the paperback, also pictured here:

------------------------------------------

It’s 2098 and the last season of baseball—forever. After the ravages of WWIII, the once all-American sport is now synonymous with terrorism and treason. Holograms run the bases for out-of-shape players and attendance averages fifteen spectators per game. The only ballpark left is Amazon, once known as Yankee Stadium.

 America, nearly wiped out by radical Islam, has established a society based on love. Religion, social media, and the entertainment industry have been outlawed. All acts of patriotism are illegal, and the country is led by Grandma. Heading up the Family in her home base in the Bronx, she works tirelessly to build a lasting legacy for the future.

 As baseball historian Puppy Nedick prepares for opening day, a chance encounter lands him face-to-face with former baseball greats. Determined not to go down without a fight, the players band together to revitalize the game for one last hurrah.

 But not everyone wants peace. Will baseball become the catalyst for WWIV, or will it save America?

 ---------------

Gary Morgenstein’s brain must be so over-worked although one could argue he is a bit obsessed by baseball.

This book, up to where I had to stop reading, is verily a work of art.  It is a story of a world coming out from a nuclear war and the plot encompasses notions of a world governed by Grandma, baseball games held in Amazon stadium with about 15 fans watching, having babies is a big deal what with millions killed during the war, Islam fanatics still controlling certain portions of America with lives governed based on the reality at hand, not what should be.

I was fascinated as I read the different parts of America’s new society and yes, I am waiting to see how it all turns out.  There is, of course, the inclusion of the game of baseball in all plots as is Morgenstein’s norm. 

As I’ve read so far, this is a book good for an afternoon porch read.  I listened to a podcast where Morgenstein was interviewed and it was intriguing to hear the words and ideas evidently in his head.  Micky Mantle and Ty Young were great characters and how all the characters are integrated into the story to result in some kind of society we must suppose.

Below, the link to this book.  If you read it all before me, do not tell me the ending.

No comments: