Tuesday

Book Review-True Crime-"A Death in White Bear Lake"

 Posted by Hello

A Death in White Bear Lake-Barry Siegel

“Barry Siegel is an award-winning reporter for the Los Angeles Times and is the author of three other books …” relates the author narrative on the inside back cover of this very excellent book by Mr. Siegel.

I have never read such a compelling true-crime book as “A Death in White Bear Lake” and never one so well-written. The research and documentation of the book’s tale of a young child murdered by his adoptive mother in a small Minnesota town, recipient of an “America’s Best Town” award-is flawless. To think I’d bypassed this book many times in the true crime section of the library because the cover blurb mentioned a true crime that I’d never heard of and such as famous true crimes tend to catch my eye. Big mistake, that kind of thinking.

Dennis Jurgens was a happy, healthy one year old when he was adopted by Lois and Harold Jurgens. By age three he was dead, his body emaciated, under-nourished and covered with bruises and cuts.

For reasons many, varied and inscrutable, the town of White Bear Lake did absolutely nothing about the death. The coroner wrote “deferred” as the cause of death. Little Dennis was buried and forgotten for over twenty years. Meanwhile, Lois and Harold Jurgens were allowed to keep their other adopted child even after exhaustive hearings on the matter, and more appallingly, allowed to adopt four MORE children!

It was when Dennis’ real mother, then assured the child was of the age of consent, attempted to contact her son to discover he’d died many years ago, that the manner and method of Dennis’ death became the focus of a new crop of White Bear Lake prosecutors and investigators.

I can’t remember any other book of any genre I’ve ever read in which the author so successfully managed to avoid inserting himself into the story. This is especially amazing in this non-fiction genre. An addendum to the book did provide details of the author’s journeys, trials and tribulations in researching and writing this book to my endless would-be author’s amazement. He actually lived in White Bear Lake for three months, poured through endless documentation from the sixties to the eighties, interviewed hundreds of witnesses, family, prosecutors and police personnel, then flexed his fingers and wrote the story.

What a fine and memorable job he did.

Siegel doesn’t hit the reader over the head with the many events and circumstances that caused this child’s death to be so obviously overlooked. The reader “gets” it though. Such as police lieutenant brothers of Dennis’ mother, towns that receive “greatest city” awards that would just as soon not have the unpleasant publicity of a child’s murder monkeying up the chances of receiving the coveted prize, and a society unaware and ill-informed about child abuse, are not advanced preachily as causes. The writer “shows” but does not “tell” the reader what to conclude.

This book is the definitive tome on child abuse, the change in social tone, the methodology of investigating and prosecuting a child abuse charge…..THEN and NOW.

Get this book and read it now, even if not a fan of true crime. The good writing will enthrall and mesmerize.



16 comments:

Anonymous said...

1/19/05

Dear Pat,

Child abuse is such a horrendous problem. Just day before yesterday, A Kansas City Star reporter, Tanyanika Samuels, reported that a 22 year old man had, punched and bruised internal organs, broke ribs, severely beat and caused head injuries to a 5 month old child!

He was babysitting and the baby was fussy.

THEY'RE AT IT AGAIN!

SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE!!!

Sincerely,

Darlene Jones

Anonymous said...

FYI, White Bear Lake, MN. is a suburb of Minneapolils, St. Paul, not a small isolated community. Been there!

Anonymous said...

what happened to lois jurgens and her husband - and the other son?

Anonymous said...

I just read that this 'woman' got paroled after serving eight years. Too bad she wasn't stomped to death, herself.

Anonymous said...

I am related to Lois and she did serve time in prison...her husband passed away about 3 years ago and the other son does not speak to the extended family as far as I know. I was not born when these events occurred..but I agree with most people in that she should still be in prison for what she did. Unfortunately she is not in prison any longer and will live out the rest of her days in relative comfort-something she denied Dennis.

Anonymous said...

I am from St Paul, MN. This story hits home hard. This is my favorite book (written very very well). I have been looking for the movie for over 3 years (A Child Lost Forever). I finally found it and just finished watching it tonight.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in White Bear Lake, I actually played in that house as a small child... This is a horrible story and I don't know many people who live in White Bear Lake that don't know of it.

White Bear Lake is a wonderful suberb and the Police department take any allegetions very seriously now..

thanks for this great write up on the book

ps. Did you know there is a lifetime movie written based on the book?

Toodles.

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable that Lois Jurgens did EIGHT years for torturing a child to death.

And her husband was a coward as far as I'm concerned. He did nothing to stop her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Jurgens

Anonymous said...

I just read this book and was physically and emotionally sickened by what that poor, defenseless child went through. My only comfort is that I know Lois Jurgens is close to her judgment day, and hopefully will spend all of eternity kneeling on a broomstick with clothespins clamped to her nipples.

Anonymous said...

I am married to one of the four children that were allowed to be adopted by Lois and Harold AFTER the death of poor Dennis. I was told by his sister-n-law and brother-n-laws about the horrible way that they were treated even before I was able to read the book. The scars that they carry.
Both mental and physical. One is deceased now and the oldest brother lives frightened and thinks he is just not good enough. All of them are on meds. The sister cries all the time, even at the drop of a dime. We are not to judge anyone but if everyone that knows about any of this knows that there is a GOD, then we all know that her time has no where near been served. I know the trauma this caused the four Jurgens kids, I have been a part of them for twelve years. I have to hear everytime something is said or done that they think may hurt or bother someone, it's I'm Sorry over and over and over. No matter how many times you say it's okay you have done nothing wrong the response is still the same. Well enough of this, I can go on for hours, but my experience is out there. I was abused as a child sexually, mentally and physically and I told my aunt that had adopted me when I was 9 and I was beaten. So from then own I kept it to myself because I felt that noone else would believe me, but I know that he will have to answer for it as well. GOD works in mysterious ways is true. He suffers little by little. I was not able to have my own kids, but I was fortunate enough that I was able to be here for my two nephews and niece to take them from an abusive home. My sister allowed this to happen to her children while she watched and continued to stay with this guy after what she went through, but as I said God had better plans for me not to have my own. I really would appreciate the lady that found the movie "A Child Lost Forever" contact me and let me know where I can get a copy @ piggyinga@yahoo.com Thanks so much and Good Luck to each and everyone of you that has experienced abuse of any kind. Anyone who may need to talk about it but feel that you can't, I am here and you can talk to me.

Anonymous said...

I am really amazed that they let this old bitch out of Prison. Too bad someone does not knock her off good. I would really like to hear about that.
I hope that the rest of the adopted kids and Jerri Sherwood and her family are doing well and coping. Jerri you will see Dennis again in the Kingdom of God.

Anonymous said...

I don't know who I was more disgusted by: this evil bitch, her brother who tried to cover up what she did or her spineless p**sywhipped husband.

What is with child-killing women like Jurgens, Marybeth Tinning, Marie Noe and Waneta Hoyt that they all hooked up with SPINELESS males?

Anonymous said...

Lois is really getting up there in years, so her peaceful life will soon be over. She may have gotten it easy, but she will NOT get away with it in the grand scheme of things. Her time will come to leave this world and she will have to answer to an infinitely higher power than Ramsey County or the state of Minnesota. And what's in store for her is far, far worse than anything the Earth's prisons could dish out. I'm talking about fire and brimstone, and not just for 8 years. Make her kneel on a broomstick, in HELL. It'll be a matter of time, but she WILL pay.

Anonymous said...

I am freinds of the real family to Dennis. I reread this book evey couple of years to remind myself that a life so great yet so small can be taken.. The bio. sibling are still to this day trying to figure out thier way through this.. They only found out about dennis just before the book can out. Most of them grown with kids his age.. Makes us look our childern in a new light..

Anonymous said...

I wish someone would find this old bitch and torture her to death.
Though death would be too easy for this c*nt. If there is a God, I hope he makes this piece of shit pay for what she has done.

Anonymous said...

8 Years for that...what a vile piece of excrement that evil woman is..she should have been jailed for the rest of her life.