Thursday

It's Down to 8 Females on the 2006 "American Idol". They Need My Advice. I Give It. Also, a Collection of fine Political Cartoons.

Blogcritics Feature Stories of the Week

  • Immigration's Evil Side

    Mark Schannon

    This is a true story. The person trapped in the Kafkaesque world of U.S. Immigration is still in a holding facility so I have to be careful about specifics because I firmly believe the Immigration people will take it out on him should they be able to identify him.



  • An Odyssey Through Best Buy

    by Brian Sorrell
    Gadgets? How about God-gets?

    That should be the word, because that's what they are. Newfangled electronic devices are newfangled Gods - in agnostic hands. From the iPod to the Blackberry to the sleekest of the slickest cells, we no longer wear our faiths on our sleeves: we clip them to our belts in polytheistic, plastic holsters.



  • Islam Is As Much A Political Entity As A Religious One

    by Chip Spear
    Why do we continue to insist we are engaged in a "War on Terror"? Terror is a psychological state, it is not a political entity, it is not group or a movement. Terrorism is a means, an offensive tool of war. It is a strategy designed to further political goals of a group or state. We are not waging a war on terror. That would be like saying that The New England Patriots are waging a war on the forward pass, or the Yankees are waging war on fast balls.




  • March's Featured Artist of the Month – NOFX
    by Ryan Seay

    Last month, I had the pleasure of repeatedly working with some superb artists who, across the past two decades, have really impacted their respective genre, music in general, and even some non-music-related causes ranging from politics to pets. No independent band has received a greater welcome or greater success than they have and it will take a band of megalithic proportions to topple them from that achievement. This month's featured artists, here at Blogcritics, are NOFX.

     Posted by Hello


    TV-Review American Idol 2006-Some Advice for the Girls

    Image hosted by Photobucket.comAs this contest continues, may I remind yon readers that a fine compilation of American Idol 2006 articles can be found here on Blogcritics in one handy post.

    On 3/8/06 I tuned in for the top eight females in this year's American Idol contest. It was a critical show in that after two are eliminated from these eight and two are eliminated from the male American Idol final contingent, the top twelve will emerge like musical butterflies freed from the cocoon of shortened songs and pressure to perform like the dickens within the minute. I have some thoughts on which female is going to be eliminated but for all I have some comments on their performances in the top eight female contest and for a few, some wise suggestions.

    We'll begin with Brenna Gethers. What,you ask? Yes Brenna Gethers was eliminated during the last top ten female round but there she was on Fox and Friends the same morning of the top eight female competition and golly I liked her spunk. Okay so I wasn't impressed with her singing, at least in comparison to the other ten but after seeing her perky and bright presence on Fox and Friends I admit her personality picks up what her singing left behind. Because for a contestant to make it as far as Gethers did, there has to be some singing talent, if not on a national superstar level. Add to Brenna's musical talent her spirit and determination to succeed. My advice to Brenna, keep up the spirit and believe in yourself.

    We move on to little Paris Bennett, my own pick for the cutie of this top eight female bunch. Even Simon says she is loved by the audience.

    Paris wore a beautiful dress for her performance but what's the deal with the dungarees? Although I know this was also a favored fashion style of Kelly Clarkson, yes as far back as that, I still don't understand this concept of dolling up pretty at the top then going casual at the bottom. Must be a current fashion craze I don't quite get.

    In addition to singing a Gloria Estafin song handily, Paris showed us she can move while she sings. I was surprised by Randy and Paula's reaction to Paris' performance. They deemed it lackluster at worst, mediocre at best.

    No advice to Paris save keep moving on. Maybe ditch the dungarees but that's just me.

    I predict Paris will move on through to the next round.

    Next up, Lisa Tucker. Lisa wore a pretty dress but I didn't care for her song at all. I've never heard Lisa's song but it sounded like something once sung in a smoky dinner club by a hoarse, chain-smoking lounge singer in her mid 40's.

    While I predict Lisa will go through to the top twelve, I think she better be thinking of better songs.

    Melissa McGhee would be, if nothing else, the best dressed of the evening. Her outfit was happening, hip and cool. Both Randy and Paula liked her performance but Simon said she "shouted her song".

    I don't think Melissa will make it through to the top twelve.

    Here's some precious advice for Kinnik Sky although I don't think Kinnik's going to make it through to the top twelve. But if she should, I'd tell Kinnik to take one lesson from the world of politics.

    For it seems that Kinnik didn't pull off her song performance all that well. All of the judges remarked on a voice that hit the upper notes a bit too sharp and it didn't quite make it.

    Here's where Kinnik messed up: She admitted it!

    Kinnik, honey, even if you heard your voice going into a screech only a gargoyle would love, never admit anything. A fine example is my own wise self, who didn't notice those sharp notes pointed out by the judges. Had you denied it, or even just played dumb, myself, and many other non-expert musical people like me, might have shrugged off the judge's comments as something only their trained ears heard. Once you admitted it, sweetheart, then I must consider what my ears didn't pick up really happened.

    Deny, deny, deny.

    Katharine McPhee sang a rousing rendition of "Freedom" and if nothing else, the world will love her bouncing boobs. Katharine doesn't ring any big bells in my head but I do think she will make it through to the top twelve.

    Ah, Mandisa. I have some advice for you child because I predict that you will be amongst the top three females, perhaps the top three in total. First, the song "I'm Every Woman" was perfect for you and you go girl, you belted it out in a fine fashion that showcased your vocals perfectly. Randy thought your song was the best vocal of the season and the other judges were complimentary as well.

    Mandisa, dress a little better, hon. What's with the poncho? The jeans, I dunno. If I were you Mandisa, I'd find me some fine plus size dresses, jazz it up with some funky jewelry, yeah I'd keep those high wedge shoes.

    Kelly Pickler is this year's "country bumpkin" contender and I don't know what to think of this country and western sweetie. Were it not for Carrie Underwood, the most recent American Idol winner and really the benchmark for country and western contenders, then I'd be way more enthusiastic about Kelly. Although hey, Simon thought you are better than Carrie although he didn't mention her by name.

    For now I predict Pickler will make it through to the top twelve. With some wow performances and the intimacy of a smaller group of contenders, she might pull off a top three.

    Below, my three picks for the top female contenders. Subject to change at my whim.

    Image hosted by Photobucket.com



    More American Idol Reviews Here
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • No comments: