Friday

POP CULTURE-The Oscars 2007-Fashion, Thoughts, Brickbacks and Sarcasm

This week's Pop Culture Update is all about Oscar 2007.

We got fashion, we've got sarcasm, we've got gossip.


Pic of the Day
Sand Art




Quote of the Day
YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK

"In 2005, Kentucky won a $36,300 grant from the Department of Homeland Security to protect bingo halls from terrorist infiltration, and last year, the federal government granted $46,908 in homeland security funds to protect a limo and bus service that transports New Yorkers to the affluent Hamptons in Long Island."
- CNS News, 2/23/07



Web Site Worth the Visit
THINGS CATS MUST REMEMBER

A smile for the cat lovers amongst us.
CLICK HERE



TIDBITS

TRAVEL TIDBITS

Thomas Cook, the world's first travel agency in the world, was founded in 1850.
***
In 1913, the Russian Airline became the first to introduce a toilet on board.
***
There are more than 16,400 parking meters in Manhatten, New York.
***
Rock drawings from the Red Sea site of Wadi Hammamat, dated to around 4000 BC show that Egyptian boats were made from papyrus and reeds.
***
The world's earliest known plank-built ship, made from cedar and sycamore wood and dated to 2600 BC, was discovered next to the Great Pyramid in 1952.
***
The pilot with the most flying hours is American John Edward Long. From May 1933 to April 1977 he flew 62,654 hours, achieving a total of more than 7 years airborne.


 Posted by Hello


Academy Awards 2007-Fashion, Gossip and Sarcasm

This post will go down more in history for the picture compilations than the wordage, at least for the two or three people a day who read this Blog.

I do, however, have some thoughts, opinions, analysis, sarcasm and commentary on the TV spectacular known as the Academy Awards in the year 2007.

I listened to Rush Limbaugh the day after the Oscar show aired. My favorite pundit did watch the award show which surprised me. By Rush, this show was very boring. Rush's comments got me to thinking. Yes, the Academy Award show is boring. The only time this show is NOT boring is when the celebrated, wealthy idiots paid to entertain decide to add their stupid commentary throughout the award presentations and acceptance speeches. Since I despise when these fools try to tell me how to think politically or ideally, I say give me boring and let me watch the fashion, hear the songs and watch the movie clips.
Thus I'd suggest to Rush that awards ceremonies, by their very nature, ARE boring. In fact, the Oscar ceremonies are likely the least boring of award shows but if the entertainers are entertaining like we pay them to do, there should always be an element of boredom and this boredom is a good thing.

Now on to my cryptic, sometimes acerbic commentary.

Oscar 2007-This and That


  • Yes I caught that nonsense with Al Gore and our "moral obligation" to stop global warming. Hey, someone tell Al Gore that I have it on good authority that the moon is going to collide with the planet earth in less than five years. Don't question my sources here, damn, these are reputable scientists. I think we all have an obligation to save this planet, indeed we have a MORAL obligation to save our planet. Thus we should all be making preparations to live under the ocean for a period of not less than six months. Then, AFTER the moon collides with the earth, we can come out of our underwater homes and begin fixing up the planet and reproducing anew.

    What's that you say? My story about the moon hitting the earth is untrue? You don't particularly want to live under the ocean based on sketchy nonsense about the moon? Well damn, Sam. Now you know how I feel about your stupid global warming nonsense. Any one of us can MAKE up stuff then label it a "moral obligation". Sure, we're not all magnificent Al Gores or anything but hey, really...even with Al Gore's great credentials, do we really want to follow this man and his folly?

    Oscar 2007-the Singers


  • I loved that sketch with a "choir" doing all the sound effects. It perfectly illustrated the importance and sound in a film and perhaps because I am myself a member of a choir, the notion of the whole bunch of choir people making noises amused the hell out of me.

  • As a would-be fashion maven, it did not pass my discriminating eyes that so many dresses at this event were of the silver or gold color. I don't know why this is, it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's how my eyes saw it.

  • I'm not at all sure about those "shadow box" people. Let me get this straight, instead of doing hand shadows against a blank wall as we've all done at some time or another, we have a group of people who do "shadows" on the blank wall using their entire bodies? Not that there's anything wrong with this and at one point during the ceremony they did do an impressive high-heel shoe. Still and so, how long could one sit and watch this without falling asleep?

    Oscar 2007-The Best


  • Really I didn't much pay attention to who won what for like so many idiots that watch the Academy Awards I didn't see a single film nominated. But that stupid global warming song by Melissa Etheridge won over three great tunes from the "Dream Girls"? Come on folks, that was the most depressing song ever sung by a human being not to mention it's much ado about nothing. Quoting Shakespeare here, folks, that's how damn cool I am.

  • I don't like Al Gore at all No I Do Not, let me not deceive. But I really thought that skit with Gore about, ostensibly, to announce his plan to run for president, then the "shut up" music playing before he could get it out...well I thought that was very cute, charmingly self-deprecating and I really thought Al Gore's laughter and obvious amusement at playing it out, was genuine. Which goes to show what I've been telling ole Al right along, try acting more human, say more like us "little" people, and maybe we'll like you.

    Al Gore snippet below.



    Oscar 2007-More Fashion


  • The entire notion of the Academy Awards Ceremony being "green" is so silly and will never be accepted by us average schlubs out here in la-la land. First, a)the American public just ain't gonna believe a bunch of Hollywood types are re-using their coffee grounds guys, it just ain't gonna happen. And b)all of the Hollywood types likely enjoy the pleasant "feeling" that their cherished annual "all-about-me" event is eco-friendly and maybe this is a positive.

  • I thought the penguin-suited guy gave the best speech of the night.

  • Being an ersatz writer myself, I enjoyed the writing scene.

  • Dear Lord but that Celine song was so awful I fell asleep twice then finally prayed to God it would end.

    Oscar 2007-Silver and Gold fashion


  • Jennifer Hudson did full-figured ladies across the fruited plain a great justice. Jennifer dressed sexy, moved her comfortable body with the best, and seemed so happy in her own skin that all of us out here in la-la land a size 16 or bigger owe her a big thanks. What guy with testerone wouldn't have found the sexy Ms. Hudson sexy?

    Okay, signing off until next year when two or three people will again read what the hell I think.

    More Gossip/Speculation HERE

    Digg!

    Add POST to Technorati Favorites
    =======================
  • No comments: