Thursday

An Essay on Dog Years and A Dog Getting Older Than Me; Miscellany, Intriguing, Funny, Different.


Pic of the Week

 
 
 

She's getting older than me.
=========================

She's biologically ten years old. And by following some sort of formula that has dog's ageing approximately 7 years for every human year.

Thus my Belgian-Malinois is around 70 years old in human years, using that formula.

Although that vaunted formula is more nuanced in that it's only 7 years to 1 human year in the first five years of life or some such. The ratio goes down after that and so….

My dog, as I figured, was around the same age in human years as me, that is she is around 63-64 years old.

Like me, she gets around okay but it takes a while to shake the stiffened muscles after resting, she drinks a lot of water as ageing causes, she can run and play but not too much or too long.

I thought it cool to have a dog same age as me because I understood how she feels.

But she's getting older than me.

I noticed it last week during our exercise routine. I used to begin with chasing the ball for a treat upon its return, usually early in the routine when she's full of energy.

She'd walk with me as I made my walking rounds and after a bit I'd play some frisbee with her, then another game of fetch the ball.

Been following this routine for couple of years now.

Last week she just could not, WOULD NOT, play that final game of fetch with me.

Oh she wanted to but she was so tired and panting so bad that she kept going under the deck to rest. I'd cajole her and threw the ball. She'd run out from under and maybe go a couple of feet. She wanted to fetch the ball, she wanted that treat.

But she just couldn't. She looked at me for forgiveness then ducked back under the deck.

I'm a bit heartbroken.

She's getting older than me.

For I am still able to "fetch" the ball if you get the analogy.

A reasonably healthy ten year old dog should live another four to five years I'm thinking. And my dog, Jo-Ann is fairly healthy, crossing fingers.

But I will probably live waaaay more years than four to five more, just following human death statistics.

The dog is getting older than me. I had to adjust the exercise routine to better accommodate her.

I dread the day when she will be so much "older" than me that it might be that "time".

For now, it's ok. I do the frisbee earlier in the routine, I've changed the order of the dog games to give her more rest.

She's getting older than me.
------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------

The Human Body is a treasure trove of mysteries, one that still confounds doctors and scientists about the details of its working. It's not an overstatement to say that every part of your body is a miracle. Here are fifty facts about your body, some of which will leave you stunned... Or…


1. It's possible for your body to survive without a surprisingly large fraction of its internal organs. Even if you lose your stomach, your spleen, 75% of your liver, 80% of your intestines, one kidney, one lung, and virtually every organ from your pelvic and groin area, you wouldn't be very healthy, but you would live.

2. During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools. Actually, Saliva is more important than you realize. If your saliva cannot dissolve something, you cannot taste it.

3. The largest cell in the human body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm. The egg is actually the only cell in the body that is visible by the naked eye.

4. The strongest muscle in the human body is the tongue and the hardest bone is the jawbone.

5. Human feet have 52 bones, accounting for one quarter of all the human body's bones.

6. Feet have 500,000 sweat glands and can produce more than a pint of sweat a day.

7. The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razor blades. The reason it doesn't eat away at your stomach is that the cells of your stomach wall renew themselves so frequently that you get a new stomach lining every three to four days.

8. The human lungs contain approximately 2,400 kilometers (1,500 mi) of airways and 300 to 500 million hollow cavities, having a total surface area of about 70 square meters, roughly the same area as one side of a tennis court. Furthermore, if all of the capillaries that surround the lung cavities were unwound and laid end to end, they would extend for about 992 kilometers. Also, your left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for your heart.

9. Sneezes regularly exceed 100 mph , while coughs clock in at about 60 mph.

10. Your body gives off enough heat in 30 minutes to bring half a gallon of water to a boil.
----------------------------------
How's that for a spice rack?
--------------------------------------
Heh.
-----------------------------------
AMAZING SIMPLE HOME REMEDIES


1. AVOID CUTTING YOURSELF WHEN SLICING VEGETABLES BY GETTING SOMEONE ELSE TO HOLD THE VEGETABLES WHILE YOU CHOP.

2. AVOID ARGUMENTS WITH THE FEMALES ABOUT LIFTING THE TOILET SEAT BY USING THE SINK.

3. FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE SUFFERERS ~ SIMPLY CUT YOURSELF AND BLEED FOR A FEW MINUTES, THUS REDUCING THE PRESSURE ON YOUR VEINS.
*REMEMBER TO USE A TIMER

4. A MOUSE TRAP PLACED ON TOP OF YOUR ALARM CLOCK WILL PREVENT YOU
FROM ROLLING OVER AND GOING BACK TO SLEEP AFTER YOU HIT THE SNOOZE
BUTTON.

5. IF YOU HAVE A BAD COUGH, TAKE A LARGE DOSE OF LAXATIVES. THEN
YOU'LL BE AFRAID TO COUGH.

6. YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT
DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

7. IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL
PROBLEM.

Ending With a Smile


No comments: