Saturday

The Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse and the Memories I Have.

 4/4/2024

The Day It Was Born; The Night It Died

It was 1977.  I was 7.5 months pregnant.  It was the month of March.  The new Francis Scott Key Bridge was scheduled to open.  I was excited.  Myself and my two male riders were happy to use the new bridge and FINALLY be done with that awful Harbor Tunnel we had drive for the prior eight years.

I insert here that obviously I was familiar with traveling under or over some kind of water, and also, for quite a few years lived ON, the Chesapeake Bay.  We all are in Merryland and we get used to it.

But the entry to the new bridge was not yet open that day so we had to drive down, get this, Patapsco Avenue, to get to the new FSK bridge.  There I am, big belly with the  only time I carried a child.  I was driving that day, my turn, and damn was it all so new to me that a dog ran in front of my car and I hit it.

I got so upset, and the cops somehow came, I didn't know how to navigate this avenue and sobbed that the dog might be dead.  My two riders told me to get in the back, they explained to the cops that they would drive...yada, yada.  Damn, no way could I drive over this brand new bridge after almost killing a dog but one of my riders took over.  The dog was fine, btw.

So that baby was born and she is now 46 years old.  The night this bridge fell down, which after hitting the dog I drove over daily for seven years, that "baby"  was sleeping in the bedroom down the hall in the house we now share as adults.

I was drowsy as I awoke, as I do , around 5 am.  Not hardly bushy and bright-eyed, I watched Fox and Friends in early morn as I do.  Eyes blinked sleepily as I watched images of a bridge somewhere totally collapsing until I heard someone on Fox say the Francis Scott Key Bridge had collapsed.

At which point I screamed at the horror and surprise of it.  

I called my daughter, who evidently likes to sleep later than 5 in the am.  It took a while, but she got up and tuned into Fox.  Then she phone HER daughter, my granddaughter obviously, who was already up as was most of Baltimore by this time.

So okay, I did not give birth on the Francis Scott Key Bridge but once I had a VW Rabbit with a hood that flew up in the air as I crossed the FSK bridge.  I drove it halfway by looking through the vent holes.

I did not fall in love on the bridge or meet my soul mate.  And yet, like so many of us around these parts, we all knew that on some level we were looking at a bit of history.

But there is also, now, a future that we can give a peek to and consider how we should now do this different.

Bearing in  mind that I am not scientist or builder.  I am, like most Americans, filled with common sense so allow me to share it those with none.  Also known as politicians.

Take a look at the picture provided.  Notice that the ship that collided with the bridge, is bigger than the tallest building in Baltimore.  This, of course, icould we lay them side by side and even if it were possible.

I'd been hearing right along that when the bridge was built the ships were less than half the size than they are now.  I ponder that, darn, suppose a ship was towing the Empire State Building under the bridge, suppose it gets to the point where logic goes out the window.

No protection around the bridge's legs and braces was built because it was never considered about how big these things could get over the years.  The population grows, more trade is conducted world-wide.  Such as the FSK bridge just weren't built for this hustle and bustle of a future.

No, I don't believe this was planned intentionally, a terrorist attack.  But like I say, I am no expert.

I watch the tape endlessly as the FSK bridge collapses like a toy and I remember how scared I was driving in the wind with my view only there through the motor vents on the hood.  That bridge seemed so DAMN BIG to me.

So it's back to the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel for a while because I have family in Merryland, some business at times.

I leave with this prediction....this bridge will be up and fixed within TWO YEARS.  Fixed and working and better.

Because that same technology that may have effectively caused its demise, this same technology will allow it to be build amazingly fast, better and safer.

===============================================================

TIME FOR A SMILE




No comments: