Tuesday

Comments-Schiavo/Lunsford; Web Site of Week Gives Romance New Look; Delaware Kills the Smokers

 Posted by Hello


Terri Schiavo
I’ve posted three posts myself about the ongoing Schiavo saga plus one with a passionate guest writer and two differing comments. Below the links, a few Schiavo comments I’m quoting but there is a bunch more on the Schiavo posts.

The Schiavo posts links:
First Post
What Happens When Terri Dies-with timeline
The Awful Truth About Those That Want Terri Dead
Guest Writer

You have done a good job of compiling the information. Now get it to the right people. Maybe Fla. State District Attorney. Pinellas Co. District Attorney. Only a D.A. can open an investigation via a Grand Jury. At this point this is the only possible option short of a miracle or a kidnapping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oct 12, 2002: A week-long hearing begins. Three of the five doctors testify that Terri cannot recover. Two picked by the Schindlers say she can.

Posted to The Kaitlyn Mae Book Blog at 3/22/2005 10:43:06 AM

NOTE-Commenter is adding to my timeline as posted on the post linked above.
~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you for an excellent timeline. The one thing I think is in error is that only 4 of the five experts were doctors. The fifth was a lawyer.

Posted to The Kaitlyn Mae Book Blog at 3/22/2005 10:31:15 AM

NOTE-Commenter is correcting the timeline as posted on the post linked above.
~~~~~~~~~~
Jessica Lunsford
Well I’m not going to quote the comments but someone really has issues with my posts on Jessica Lunsford. Posts put up right in the middle of the mystery of Jessica’s disappearance from her own bedroom when nobody really knew anything. Including the investigators because the saddest truth of all is that the little girl was right across the street from her home and no one’s very clear on the torment the child went through before her death.

 Posted by Hello


Below a not so damning comment culled from the Lunsford comment threads.
When they will understand that there are criminals that cannot become rehabilitated and that they are a fruitless expense of resources maintaining them incarcerated? Sexual criminals are among them and authorities should practice euthanasia with them.

--
Posted by Anonymous to The Kaitlyn Mae Book Blog at 3/22/2005 12:31:47 PM

~~~~~~~~~~
Comments are allowed freely on this Blog and I’ve yet to delete any. But to resort to ad hominum attacks shows a pettiness and clouds any valid points being made by the commenter. To read the bad stuff, check out the Lunsford threads.
Where is Jessica Lunsford?
Jessica Lunsford Update
May Jessica Rest in Peace
 Posted by Hello


Should Be Web Site of Year
I came across this web site on my own and laughed until my sides hurt. The author is a clever fellow who has compiled a montage of romance book covers. Only he changed them a bit. A sample is provided below the link.

I emailed the web designer, Mark Longmire, and told him how clever he is.

His response:

I'm honored. Glad you liked it.

Thanks,

- Mark Longmire


Romance Novels in a New Light

 Posted by Hello


 Posted by Hello


Pull the Feeding Tubes on the Smokers

Fair and Balanced: I smoke. The Wise I does not smoke. It’s part of our differences.

So far I enjoy living in Delaware and hey I’m sorry Governor Nanny Minner’s husband died of lung cancer. But you can only beat up smokers so much. At some point they give a collective nicotine stained finger and continue smoking just to spite you.

The Wise I would not suggest this.

So okay, Nanny Minner wants to add more tax on cigarettes because she so sweetly says, higher cigarette costs keep down juvenile smoking. Well WHY ARE JUVENILES BUYING CIGARETTES NANNY?

I thought this was against the law, silly me.

Still we must raise taxes on ALL cigarette smokers to stop juveniles from what they shouldn’t be doing anyway?

One of these days some other sensible human being is going to get a gander at that horrible commercial by the Delware Department of Health and Human Services. I’m sure it’s only shown locally but it does pop up during the evening cable news, both Fox and CNN.

There’s a lady and a man in a car, driving along. HE lights up a cigarette. All of a sudden she yanks the car off the road, drives this little Chevy kind of thing over tree stumps and rocks, jogging everybody in the car and I would imagine scaring the hell out of that stupid smoker. Then she pulls back on the road and he asks “What are you doing?”

She says, yes she does, “You’re trying to kill me. I’m just returning the favor.”

Then the most astonishing claim dances across the screen that states over two million people died last year of second hand smoke.

WHERE?

I have never, not ever and I dare anyone to show me one, seen a death certificate with the death description being “death caused by second hand smoke”. I’m not convinced there’s such a thing as death caused by first hand smoke. Usually it’s lung cancer or emphysema.


Now The Wise I understands that an asthmatic child could possibly suffer damage from second hand smoke. Not that in this day and age only the stupidest would endanger their child this way, but this is not, folks, death by second hand smoke. And I’m sure it’s rarer than two million deaths a year.

And that commercial! I’d be appalled even if I wasn’t a smoker. To suggest that driving a car recklessly with death so imminent is the same thing as inhaling a cigarette from one smoker in a vehicle with all the windows down… come on, that doesn’t insult yon reader’s intelligence?

Hey, I can make up numbers too.

“Last year over three million people died from Nanny Minner’s stupid TV commercials by driving like the fools in them.”…from The Kaitlyn Mae Book Blog, 3/2005.”

From Newzap.com

Gov. Ruth Ann Minner proposed boosting Delaware's cigarette tax by 19 cents per pack on Tuesday, a move she said is aimed at cutting down youth smoking, not raising more money for the state.

Delaware's cigarette tax, now 55 cents per pack, last went up in 2003 when the state faced a budget shortfall.

I view this as a health proposal, not a revenue issue," the governor said in a news conference announcing her legislative agenda.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat - I think you're right about the taxes needing to be more thought-out... I would think we all need to be even-handed about this. Smoking is either legal and totally ok or it's illegal and not totally ok.

I would be of the opinion that it is NOT totally ok. I have yet to hear of any health benefits to anyone smoking, that couldn't be administered via nicotine patch.

I do have an asthmatic child. And going out can be sheer death. Imagine going into and out of shopping areas. Smokers like to congregate outside, so that you have to pass through their haze to enter the building. Restaurants are difficult as well. It just takes one smoker on the other side of the building to make the entire place uninhabitable for him. And there are very few totally non-smoking restaurants. People even smoke outside of hospitals!

My son is a wonderful little person. I can't see locking the kid up for the rest of his life so that he doesn't come in contact with smoke. I also don't see how it's ok that his life could be cut short because public smokers are an inconsiderate lot on the whole. And I say that with no malice, being an ex-smoker myself and also the child of smokers.

My opinion is that, short of an amazing scientific discovery of a great health benefit, there should not be cigarette or tobacco sales period. At all. Ever. I know that we're not the only family affected by cigarette smoke. It's a hard habit to quit, but that shouldn't stop an intelligent woman such as yourself for seeing things as they are.

They're making money off of you and giving you nothing but misery! Eeesh. Don't get me started...

Anonymous said...

Tax free camel cigarettes and tobacco products online. Buy Marlboro and generic cigar brands at affordable prices. All accessories and products delivered right to your doorstep in