Tuesday

Guest Writer-"Drivel" by Michelle

 Posted by Hello


Today's Guest Writer is Michelle.

Her Web Site is the Desk Drawer
Desk Drawer

http:\\www.winebird.com
AND....she is the owner of the pretty pup below. Bounty is also an entrant in the Pampered Pet Contest.

Below her handsome dog is her guest entry, titled "Piranha"

 Posted by Hello

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bathing With Piranha

Dawn. The water is still, nothing moves. Light breaks and with it come
shapes, colors.

Activity.

People arrive. Some hesitant, some bold. Some with false bravado. Just
like the swimming hole back home, the people test the water. A toe
here, a finger there -- this one plunges straight in without sampling.

A phone rings, and the piranha begin to feed. Swarming; each wanting
just a mouthful, no more. Every one hungry.

I wonder when I first noticed the resemblance the workplace has to
that far off stream where piranha are commonplace. Maybe it was when I
experienced the 'aura of the desk' and sat in a supervisor's chair. Or
maybe it was when I moved from one end of the building toward the
middle and sat across from a team leader. Or maybe there wasn't a
defining moment, but a gradual building of small nuances.

Whenever it was, I can't help but notice it now. Early morning, a few
people -- the early risers -- filter in. Coffee, doughnuts, a quick
stretch. These are the ones that test the water, swim cautiously.
Midmorning, a steady stream of people. Hustle and bustle as they
settle in to work. These are the ones who come boldly to the riverside
to collect water for the daily chores. Late morning, the stragglers,
the ones with excuses. These are the ones who dive right in, because
they must.
 Posted by Hello

The desks around me with their hordes circling, waiting. Each little
pond with its own school of fish.

I've done my bathing for today. Home, safe, I stretch. Nibbles,
scratches, bites, paper cuts. All are one. Badges of honor from
bathing with piranha yet again. And surviving.


(I suppose I should add a disclaimer: I like my job, I like the people
I work with, but the writer in me sees comparisons everywhere I go and
this one's been with me for a bit. Next time there are three people
standing at your desk and the phone rings, come tell me you can't see
the piranha.)

 Posted by Hello


Mail JPG file of your pet to patfish1@aol.com

Refer to this post for more information and what you win.

1 comment:

Hamza Balol said...

Hello Ms. Pat,

I hope you are doing well. I'm not sure whether or not you are the same Pat Fish who wrote the wonderful story "An Activist is Born," from a recently published book by the Chicken Soup for the Soul series, Time to Thrive. The story, however, touched my heart and soothed my soul in a very positive way.

Best wishes,
Hamza Hassan
Saudi Arabia