Thursday

American Idol 06-An Opera Singer, Classic Love Songs, and It's Down to Five

American Idol 2006 winds down to the final five. Paula gets crazy, Katharine and the boobs, a blind opera singer.
Pic of the Day
Tin Can Sculpture




Quote of the Day
It is a mistake to suppose that men succeed through success; they much oftener succeed through failures. Precept, study, advice, and example could never have taught them so well as failure has done."
-Samuel Smiles-


Try this...its really cool, only takes a minute

1. Key in the first 3 digits of your phone
number into a calculator (not the area code)

2. Multiply by 80

3. Add 1

4. Multiply by 250

5. Add the last four digits of your phone number

6. Add the last four digits of your phone number again

7. Subtract 250

8. Divide by 2 at last

Is that your phone number ??


 Posted by Hello


American Idol 2006-Down to the Final Five

American Idol 2006 winds down to its final five and two things. One the bulk of this missive is written before the elimination on Wednesday 4/26/06 and two-what's up with Paula Abdul?

Andrea Bocell

It was "Classic Love Song" night on Idol with famed opera singer Andrea Bocelli as the guest mentor/performer. It was also "Paula Abdul gets crazy, cries and causes Simon to be embarrassed" night.

Paula Abdul is always the chosen judge to act nuts and thus bring publicity to Fox's vaunted reality series. On the night of the final six in this year of our Lord 2006, Paula really appeared to be filled with what? Booze? Narcotics? Nostalgia? Whatever the case, at one point the woman actually stood and cried over a contestant performance.

But ah, onto the performances.

I was a bit disappointed in that what with a theme of Classic Love Songs, I figured my ears would be treated to beautiful, dreamy music that would have me lapse into a state of reminiscing euphoria. Perhaps after lo these many weeks of this year's AI contest I have become more critical and my ears have become more sensitive. For I heard only one song that brought me anywhere near that euphoric state thus I might need some of what Abdul is taking.

Katharine McPheeKatharine McPhee began the festivities by singing "I Have Nothing", a Whitney Houston tune.

Katharine wore a lovely dress that artfully exposed her bosom and it's possible the dress might save her. Because the song, well let's just say Katharine shouldn't have attempted it. At one point the trill in the song sounded horrendous. In fact, Randy told Katharine that the song was "too big for you" and that pretty much sums up McPhee's performance.

I predict Katharine will be in this week's bottom three.

Net up, Elliott Yamin. Who sang a song I'd never heard before so I must ask just how classic are these love songs? Although consider it acknowledged that I am by no means the arbiter of classic love songs but I do know I didn't much like the song and had to ask more musically literate husband just who the hell was Danny Hathaway. I thought Yamin ended the song awfully and overall, well I was not impressed. Judge Simon, however, pronounced the performance "superb" and if super-critical Simon assessed Yamin's performance thusly, well what the hell do I know?

Ah, country bumpkin Kellie Pickler. Well Kellie did sing a beautiful song. "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers is one of the more glorious love songs ever sung by human voice. Kellie sat down as she sang this classic tune.

Now I thought Kellie did okay with this song. She sure sang it easy yet even still, the high notes just weren't quite there.

I suspect Kellie will be sent home this round.

To my surprise, Paris Bennett sang a Barbra Streisand tune "The Way We Were". The surprise was how incongruous that song is with Paris' songstress persona. Paris gave the song a special touch but singing in a husky voice that, hey, I thought sounded different and pretty. In fact, I thought Paris' performance was one of the two best of the evening. Alas when even goofy Paula despairs that Paris "oversang" the tune, I wonder whether I was hearing the same song.

The absolute best performance of the evening was Chris Daughtry. Chris sang a song with which I am not familiar but goes to show familiarity isn't a prerequisite of a perceived fine performance. Chris performed the tune-"Have You Ever Loved a Woman"- accompanied by two guitars.

I can easily see Chris Daughtry winning this thing. He has a unique voice as well as a unique look. He is a quintessential performer. American Idol has never had a certified rock singer winner and this year it might be time. And despite his genre of rock music, in every performance outside of his genre, Chris has done a bang-up job.
Paris Bennett and Chris Daughtry


Okay, here's a Taylor Hicks alert. I don't especially like this contender, don't think he should have even made it this far, and consider that far better than him have already been sent packing.

On the night of the Classic Love Songs, Taylor sang "Just Once". As expected, I didn't like Hicks' performance at all.

The judges all agreed with me. Randy didn't like it and Simon deemed it the fodder of hotel lounges across the country. I predict Taylor will definitely be in the bottom three and could possibly be eliminated.

The Elimination
Highest number of votes-Chris Daughtry and Katharine McPhee.

Lowest two-Kellie Pickler, Paris Bennett.

Sent home-Kellie Pickler.



More American Idol Reviews Here

More TV Reviews HERE

No comments: