Monday

A Garden Video Tour of Serendipity Shore; Kaitlyn's New Poncho

Kaitlyn is coming to visit Grandmother this week but it was during a recent visit that she tried on and modeled her BRAND NEW PONCHO, made by Grandmother and proudly displayed in this post.

Also, a garden update for the mountain of hedge roses are abloom and we also have...TADA...a video garden tour of Serendipity Shore!


Pic of the Day
Bird montage with baby robins, killdeer eggs and killdeer faking injury




Quote of the Day
Classic Quotes by Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882) U.S. writer

A beautiful form is better than a beautiful face; it gives a higher pleasure than statues or pictures; it is the finest of the fine arts.
---------------
A chief event of life is the day in which we have encountered a mind that startled us.
---------------
A child is a curly, dimpled lunatic.
---------------
A fly is as untamable as a hyena.
---------------

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do.
---------------
A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.
---------------
A good indignation brings out all one's powers.
---------------



Web Site Worth the Visit
Cheapest gas station near you

If you've turned on the news, picked up a paper, or eavesdropped on a conversation between just about any two people recently, you've probably heard someone talking about gas prices. They're going up at a record pace. In fact, experts are predicting they?ll top a mind-boggling $4.00 A GALLON in many parts of the country this summer.

But someone sent me this useful link. It finds the cheapest gas station near you, without you wasting a gallon or two driving around looking for it.

Just plug your zip code in and it'll tell you the lowest ? and highest -- price in your area. Check it out.

ABOVE SITE HERE



TIDBITS

RANDOM TIDBITS ON SESAME STREET

During the 1969–1970 season, Oscar the Grouch was orange.
***
Aloysius Snuffleupagus's, Snuffy, birthday is August 19th.
***
Linda Bove- Neighborhood librarian and was one of the first deaf actors in a recurring television role.
***
Tickle Me Elmo was the fastest selling toy of the 1996 season.
***
In 1970, Ernie's "Rubber Duckie" song made #16 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
***
Sesame Street premiered on November 10, 1969 on the National Educational Television network. More than 4,000 episodes of the show have been produced in 36 seasons, which distinguishes it as one of the longest-running shows in television history.
***
(1979-1992) Was a cowboy with a memory problem, he rode in the saddle with his darling, Clementine. Both characters were "retired" in 1992, when Richard Hunt died.
***
In 2002, Sesame Workshop announced that an HIV-positive character would be introduced to Takalani Sesame, the South African version of the show. Many conservatives and religious groups wrongly presumed that the American version would be getting a "gay Muppet", but the HIV-positive character is only present on this international version of the show. The character, Kami, contracted HIV from a blood transfusion as an infant.


 Posted by Hello


Kaitlyn's New Poncho

There is a little fellow living in this neighborhood and he's just a tad younger than Kaitlyn Mae. For while Kaitlyn is a delightful child, declares this very prejudiced grandmother, she is not around other children her age all that much. This is especially true when she comes to visit Mom Mom as I can barely handle Kaitlyn much less other children. Add to this the fact that the average age in Sussex county Delaware is 76. The few children we have around this area are the spawn of illegal immigrants.

So when we first saw this little man being pushed by his mother in a stroller, I waved them down exuberantly while Kaitlyn jumped up and down in Mom Mom's driveway with unabashed joy. In due course I talked to his mother and I met Isaac.

Isaac is quite the character and his mother should likely receive an award of some sort. First, Isaac has a head full of curly red hair and right there you know you've got a live wire on your hands. His mother is a pretty young woman with an engaging personality and an ever present sense of eternal exasperation.

For Isaac does test the patience of the saints, at least as his loving mother explains. Isaac is a little over two years old but his mother declares with no shame that the boy has been in the grip of the terrible twos since he's been born. Kaitlyn was delighted to meet Isaac and after a few moments of friendly road conversation, I promised Isaac's mother I would stop by and help her with her garden in due course. Due course came a day later as Kaitlyn begged me to walk up the street with her so she could play with Isaac.

And play they did. Isaac has all manner of toys and Kaitlyn loved them all. Those two soon had tricyles, unicycles, little lawnmowers and other toys all about the Isaac driveway and across the lawn. Kaitlyn and Isaac ran all around the yard and at times we could only hear their argumentative voices. They laughed and argued and cried but they played, dear Lord they played and then they played some more.

I am a grandmother with only one grandchild. I am not familiar with the ways of the children. They scared the living hell out of me. The two children loved their play session. I promised Isaac's mother that Kaitlyn would visit Isaac whenever she comes to visit her Mom Mom.

I came across the rather sarcastic list below and it was only through my experience with Kaitlyn and Isaac that I fully understand how true this list of eight is.

Laws of the Toddler
1. If I like it, it's mine.
2. If it's in my hand, it's mine.
3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.
4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
6. If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
7. If it looks just like mine, it's mine.
8. If I think it's mine, it's mine.

It is the romantic and fiction writer in me that alternately worries and ponders life with curly red-headed great-grandchildren. Heh.

So I had this box full of yarn and with determination I decided I would use it all up. I dug out patterns and pored over the pretty pictures of crocheted delights. It had been since well before Kaitlyn's birth since I'd crocheted a thing but in my day I was quite good at it. In my studies of patterns I had on hand I was delighted to discover that there is a plethora of items that can be crocheted for a child.

My first project was the child's poncho. Below Kaitlyn models the little poncho Mom Mom made, don't ask me what that expression of Kaitlyn's is all about. Perhaps she considers this the sultry, sexy look of super models? That's Kaitlyn's mother holding the poncho up.

Cute, huh?

Kaitlyn poses with poncho



More Kaitlyn Posts HERE

 Posted by Hello


Yes, We Have Hedge Roses

They were just three half-dead barely recognizable bushes that would fit inside of a scrub bucket. But I'd just purchased these hedge roses from famous rose growers Jackson & Perkins and they'd only been in the ground a few months in the gardens of my old home in Merryland. Once we purchased a new house in Delaware I got a shovel and dug the struggling bushes up and determined I would plant them in my new gardens in the swamps of Delaware. The huge oak trees of the Merryland lot smothered the sun the roses desperately needed to grow.

In the swamps of Delaware the three struggling straggly bushes seemed quite happy. My daughter, who helped me dig the things up, claimed I was stupid to even think that those pathetic pieces of green would do anything but curl up and die during the three hour trip to their new home.

Below, three years after their trip from the sandy shores of Merryland's Critter Cove, those small hedge roses bloom again.

Hedge rose montage May 2007


Heh. Sometimes when you're a gardener, you just gotta believe.

Finally, below a video tour of my new "container" garden. Be patient with me folks, I'm just learning all this video stuff.



More Gardens and Bird posts HERE

Digg!

Add POST to Technorati Favorites
=======

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting way to get people interested in reading! Book trailers are like movie trailers, but for books! You can find them all over the internet now, but here is a site that's featuring them on YouTube. www.youtube.com/booktrailers

Manprabodh Singh Sandhu said...

What an interesting way to get people interested in reading! Book trailers are like movie trailers, but for books! You can find them all over the internet now, but here is a site that's featuring them on YouTube. www.youtube.com/booktrailers