Wednesday

2/19.23-SuperBowl LVII; Review of "SPARE" by Prince Henry; Lots more gossip and smiles

Daily Miscellany

Thoughts and flashes of brilliance that enter my head from nowhere.

Enjoy.  Or abhor, depending on the effect of my "wisdom".

SUPERBOWL LVII GROANS AND HIGHLIGHTS
---------------------------------------------------


Let me state right now that I will not take a position that the refs at this Superbowl were unfair but there sure was some oddity about a couple of calls they made.  This includes, especially , the last holding call which was a very odd call.

Then there was this so-called "Black National Anthem".  Why, oh damn WHY...can't the NFL act like we are all Americans?

Still and so, let me establish that my football team of choice is the Ravens as I am from Baltimore.  Read below for my Baltimore story of current and Baltimore of past and how the Colts left Baltimore and I lived through it.

However, I now live in Delaware and have since 2003.  First Delaware lesson....NO ONE currently living in Delaware was BORN in Delaware.  Besides that rule of thumb, Delaware has an unwritten rule that if you live in Delaware you MUST root for the Philadelphia sports teams in all things.  This is especially true for the football.  

So when my daughter begins to balk at watching a Superbowl not featuring the Ravens, I read her the riot act about rooting for Philadelphia for all things while living in Delaware..

Then there was the halftime show which featured Rhyanna, who was pregnant as announced last night.  The stages were floating in the air, many stages were filled with dancers who were all wearing some white outfit that looked odd.

And so we must mention the famous commercials, which this year featured a very odd M&M commercial.  The M&M candies danced and sang a song that went "MA-YA" over and over.  The commercial made no sense to me and it has been a subject of much speculation this day after the Superbowl.

The winning commercial, according to Inside Edition, was "Farmer's Dog" food from  a N Y dog food company, which my dog loves!

At any rate, it was a well-played game, enjoyable to watch, the Eagles should have won but so be it.  The final score was KC=38 and the Eagles 35.

Below is a pic of this years Most Valuable Player-Patrick Mahomes.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BALTIMORE SCHOOLS
-------------------------------------------------
I came upon the following at one of my favorite web sites.  

I remember when Baltimore was one of the top ten cities in America.  

Now look at what Baltimore has become.
According to WBFF-TV (Fox45), the Maryland State Department of Education recently released Baltimore students' 2022 test results, which revealed that an incredible 93% of third- through eighth-graders tested below their grade level in math.

In fact, after analyzing the results, the Baltimore news station found 23 city schools where not a single student tested proficient in math.

The terrible twenty-three comprised ten high schools, eight elementary schools, three middle and high schools, and two elementary and middle schools.

--------------------------------------------------
REVIEW "NIGHT COURT"

There was a show called "Night Court", also including John Larroquette, a few years ago, but note yon reader please, I never watched that show.  

However I have watched a couple of episodes of this new version of Night Court, which now has the DAUGHTER of the original Night Court Judge.....as the current Judge.

I bother to submit a review of this show because, well I find it very funny.

Comedies are too rare on today's television.  But Larroquette is a great comedic actor and I suggest those who need a laugh check it out.
----------------------------------------------------------

REVIEW "SPARE" BY PRINCE HENRY
---------------------------------------------------



















There is a lot to read in this book.  But first allow me to specify what is most evident in this book.  IT'S OBVIOUS MEGHAN MARKLE DICTATED MOST OF THIS BOOK.

Which is not a bad thing.  I do not think that Prince Harry is all that smart, but if you tell anybody I said that, I am going to deny it.

It is the story, as one would expect, of Harry...the "spare" following the "heir" to the British throne.  He tells his story of being in the army, of his bodyguards, his many nannies, the paparazzi which follows him everywhere, and of course, the tragic death of his mother.

THIS reader is an American and the life of a child to British royalty is foreign.  MY forefathers fought these people, though they were a little bit drunk.  

I read Harry's story up until he met Meghan.  The reader can tell that Meghan is trying to make herself sound like the good guy.  There were many issues involving Meghan and her father and sister.  And while it's often whispered that the queen and Harry's brother did not like Meghan, no disputes are mentioned in the book's narrative.

At any rate, I was more interested in this book because I was mesmerized by the recent funeral of Queen Elizabeth.

But I'm an American and that's enough British for me for a while.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Weekly Idle Gossip

Just a collection on social/political items that caught my attention.  Now I try to catch yon reader's attention.

From the link above I learn that the family of Tyre Nichols, recently beaten to death by five black cops, has filed for some sort of reprieve from the United Nations, of all places.

Has it gotten so bad in this country that our citizens must appeal to the UN?
-----------------------------------------------------------
smallpox discovery

I taped a show about huge pandemics in human history.  One of the biggest pandemics was Smallpox.  I watched the tale of how Smallpox was healed by a form of Cowpos.

At any rate, I asked my 45 year old daughter to let me see her smallpox scar from her shot.  Smallpox vaccination scars were notoriously known for leaving a big scar.

"I don't have a smallpox vaccination scar," my daughter said.  "I didn't get a smallpox vaccination.

Well I was shocked.  Evidently, I must deduce that smallpox vaccination have not been given for at least 45 years.

I did not know that.
-----------------------------------
Black tomatoes?














Found these gems at a local grocery store known as Rednors.

The tomatoes were mostly red but a large portion of them were black.  BLACK TOMATOES?

Tomatoes were meant to be read.  However, I did buy about four of these semi-black tomatoes.  They tasted fine but I must ask again...why black tomattoes?
------------------------------------
Best Law Ever Passed by Congress

Which would be the 401(K)/IRA law.

I am retired.  All my life I have contributed to a 401(K).  Now at retirement I am hardly rich but by my legislature passing this law, I am comfortable financially.

One pays no taxes when they are making the most money and pays after retirement when income is at its lowest.

Or so goes the logic
-------------------------------------------
The Colts Sneak Away

Yes the Colts once lived in Baltimore, the name Colts a reference to horse-racing, something Baltimore was once well-known for.

I was 12 years old when what is now the Indiana Colts brought in a big truck in the middle of the night and boom, THE ENTIRE FOOTBALL TEAM LEFT BALTIMORE!

This whole town was crushed.  We all stood before the tv sets, shocked that our beloved team would just get up and leave us.

I've hated them since.

But we've got the Ravens, quoted the raven by Edgar Allen Poe-from Baltimore-..."Never more".
------------------------------------------------

TIME FOR A SMILE



No comments: