Tuesday

Question for the Jews

 

It’s now early November 2023 as I type my thoughts about the “war” in the Gaza strip.

I offer some Christian thoughts on the matter, for what they may be worth.   Which I do because, not that I’m proud of this…I am an average Christian.

I have had very little interaction with Jewish folk in my 73 years,  but like most average Christians, I have had some.  I grew up in Baltimore and worked for some small business firms owned by Jews but those relatively few experiences were not much different than working for any other religion.  I have never worked with, or for, a Muslim but I would have no problem with it, at least now.

I did go through a period in my life, back when I was in my med-teens to young adulthood (now you’re talking 50 years ago almost) that I was very interested in WWII and read many books on the subject…to include many books by Leon Uris…including “Exodus”, “The Diary of Ann Frank”, books about the Polish wall, concentration camps, battles and deaths.  I recount this because I never quite understood why Hitler wanted to kill millions of people because they were Jewish, which was my average and perhaps simple-minded Christian interpretation of why Hitler…and the German people, would send innocent people to the gas ovens.

Now we have these Muslims, whether they are Hezbollah, Hamas or whatever popular name they have today, suddenly up and starting a war with the Israelis.



I do understand all that proceeded this, the 6 day war, Yassar Arafat…now buried in somebody’s compost pile and, of course, the story of the mighty Palestinians who suddenly must have the whole world defend them and set them free.  I also know the Palestinians were never “owned” by anyone and without Israel they wouldn’t even have a “nation”.  Point I want to make is that I am informed enough about world and political events to know mostly what’s going on.

Only there is one thing I do not know.

What is the deal with the Jews?

Now I don’t want to sound comical or sarcastic….I really mean it.

Because I am an average Christian who’s read about WWII and the bible and Israel and the start of it all.  I even, reader should smile here, had a stepfather who was BORN in Germany.  This was back when I was 12 years or so.  He married my mother, joined the army and had 3 kids with her.  He was a nice enough guy and his parents lived here too.  I wanted so bad to ask him what the Germans had against the Jews and , in fact, one day I did ask him.

He told me that was only Hitler himself, that the Germans had nothing against the Jews.  He said that’s why his parent hid him and his sister underneath blankets and somehow sneaked through the Berlin Wall.

Again, ONE man got away with setting up huge death camps to kill mostly Jews…make them wear yellow stars?  The Germans did nothing to stop it?

This brings me up to and including today.

Again, everybody wants to kill the Jews.

By the way, Jesus was a Jew wanted to throw that in.

They are marching in London, in Baltimore and I’m glad I don’t live there anymore….all over the world.

Maybe someone who is Jewish…whether determined by lineage or avowed religion as there is doubt  and confusion on that…can tell me why the Jews are so hated?

I got some thoughts on that but for now….everyone’s probably sick of my thoughts.

No comments: