Wednesday

Seeing Rehoboth Musical; Tidbits; Review of Cracker Barrel and Thanksgiving; Update on Hostages

 11/29/2023

In my weekly summary I will combine all that moved me to include my thoughts on the matter.  Thus reviews of local restaurants might be included with reviews of books or television shows.  There will probably always be some political thought included weekly but by all means, come and read what interests and pass by that which does not.

Seeing a Great Musical Near Biden’s Beach Home

Bearing in mind I currently live  in Delaware and often complain about how President Biden causes great traffic congestion when he comes home from the nation’s capitol.  He causes special grief when he comes to his southern Delaware beach home, located in Delaware’s Rehoboth Beach. 

At any rate this article is not about Biden although the Clear Space Theatre Company is located not far from Biden’s beach home.

So now that I have yon reader’s attention, allow me to review the Clear Space’s most recent presentation, as of this writing.  For on the Friday after Thanksgiving 2023, the musical presented was “Estella Scrooge”.  More on this later.

My granddaughter, daughter and granddaughter’s boyfriend attended, along with me.  For now, more information about the locale and perhaps some smiles.

Below are pics of the inside and outside of the current Clear Space Theatre Company’s building.  I am not sure if Clear Space, which is a charitable organization, non-profit….Clear Space did make an agreement with the commissioners of Rehoboth to build another place for performances further down on the circle in Rehoboth.

Only the citizens of Rehoboth protested and the permit was denied.

Now I don’t know if that was a good idea.  First, this Clear Space locale has NO provisions for the handicapped.  I am handicapped and always use a cane.  I did climb up a bank of stair steps and survived but this is not a good idea.  The WORST is trying to find a parking spot in Rehoboth Beach.  This particular event was on Black Friday with Rehoboth located near man retail outlets and that night the Rehoboth tree lighting.  Might not be so bad at other times.

Rehoboth's Clear Space Theatre Company will stay in current location. | Delaware First Media (delawarepublic.org)

Clear Space Theatre Company in Rehoboth Beach will not be moving to a new home on Rehoboth Avenue.
In October 2018, Clear Space told City leaders they wanted to purchase land on Rehoboth Avenue to expand.

I think it’s just a really crappy place for such a purpose.



Besides the oxymoron of a locale, the play and all performances were absolutely terrific.

The story behind this play is kind of difficult for me to understand.  Obviously the main character is a female named Estella Scrooge.  The rest of the characters involve Estella’s real mother and father, who she meets at the end, Estella’s true love, and an Aunt of Estella.

There is an underlying story of Estella, who comes across as a mean lady, while the love of her life helps people who are homeless and need food to eat and medical help.

As a form of narration of the story, the songs carry the day.

The voices were beautiful.

There was some movement of furniture and other objects, but it was minimal and perfect for the scene to be betrayed.

Let there be no doubt that one does not hear of Ebenezer Scrooge in this particular musical but the story is based around “The Christmas Carol”, let there be no mistake.

My granddaughter and her boyfriend, said boyfriend admitted he had never seen a musical live on stage….all of us, including the audience who gave a strenuous standing ovation, loved the show.

-------------------------------

Some Tidbits and Catch Up

Capriotti’s Corrects My Wrong Assumption

So was the body of the comment of a representative of Capriotti’s Sandwich shop wrote in response to my review…Below:

https://patfish.blogspot.com/2023/11/in-my-weekly-summary-i-will-combine-all.html

 not instant potatoes and not instant gravy. We roast Butterball turkeys daily and use them for the gravy. Real red skin potatoes. Thank you for the fine review 

I mentioned that the gravy was probably canned and the mashed potatoes as served were instant.  I did not mean it as a criticism; these items were perfectly fine.  But so I allow Capriotti’s to have their say.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

My Persian Boyfriend

I was only 18 fresh and youthful years old when I met Ali.  One of the first things he told me was that he was Persian.  When I heard the word “Persia” I immediately thought of flying carpets.

“It is also called Iran,” Ali furthered explained.

I really liked Ali and he would always serve dinner on the floor.  We ate sitting on a rug.

Finally it came down to Ali wanting me to meet his mother.  “But you’ll have to wear a scarf at all times,” Ali explained.  He was speaking of the head coverings women in the Muslim world must wear.  Ali told me his mother would love me but only if I wore the Muslim head covering.

I thought about it a lot.  I was only 18, not ready for any kind of long relationship.  I broke up with Ali and never met his mother.  I think about him every once in a while and am glad I didn’t move to Persia.

---------------

Cracker Barrel For Thanksgiving


I chanced to have dinner at Cracker Barrel in 2023 and it was quite an experience.  First, I am 73 years old and have never eaten in a restaurant on Thanksgiving.  Second, well this was the first time I have eaten at a Cracker Barrel.  Finally, this is the first time I have ever taken home a Thanksgiving dinner from a restaurant, much less Cracker Barrel. 

Because of travel time, work days for granddaughter and boyfriend, me and daughter decided to eat at Cracker Barrel as we knew them to be open on Thanksgiving, our guests had already attended two prior “Thanksgivings” with other family, and hey, I didn’t want to cook but I did want to eat.

We got a seat quickly and noted that we could buy a genuine Thanksgiving dinner here complete with turkey, cranberry sauce, even a piece of pumpkin pie!  We arrived a bit early, around noon, and I wanted to eat but was not ready for turkey type dinner.  I knew, however, that later on we would all be hungry, around six pm or so.  So we all agreed to take one turkey dinner home and order a regular meal here at Cracker Barrel.

Fortunately Cracker Barrel was happy to put the four turkey meals in while we dined in leisure then take home our “Thanksgiving” meal.

I must say that the Cracker Barrel dinner offerings were not all that plentiful.  I had meatloaf, with ground beef prepared, formed and shaped very well.  The menu said it would have red peppers, onions and such but there was nothing of this sort with my meal.  I had whipped sweet potatoes with the meal, a nice biscuit and mashed potatoes with gravy.  One of our party got a steak, another got breakfast, believe it or not. 

It was a fine meal to fill a tummy, not the stuff of Food Network but comfortable, keeping with the restaurant’s name.  Our turkey meals were properly wrapped, and put into handled paper bags, ready for us to pay along with our dinner meal.

Hey, I’d recommend Cracker Barrel as a safe place to stop and eat any of the three meals, cooked handily and seasoned nicely.  And they are all over the country so it’s a can’t miss.

---------------------

The War Continues

As of this writing, late November 2023, Hamas and Israel are exchanging hostages.  As I understand it,  Israelis are exchanging Palestinian prisoners while Hamas is releasing hostages.

And so far the hostage exchange is going fairly well.  There are Israelis who sob with the pain of knowing that their beloveds have not been released as of yet and Israelis who sob with sheer joy as they re-unite with the loved ones from whom they have been separated for many days.  Thanks to the Internet and advanced warfare, the world can now witness a war.


Which could be a good thing as we witness the pain up close instead of hearing about it from a land faraway. Such public relations make it difficult for terrorists too do their thing.

Netanyahu vows to eliminate Hamas totally.  Let’s see if he does.

No comments: