Thursday

Editorial-MEAN Liberals;Miscellany-What Women Say; Comments

NAME THE PLANT-CLINK LINK BELOW FOR MORE DETAILS

CLICK HERE TO WIN!
 Posted by Hello


Looking Into the Liberal Mindset

As an unabashed Conservative, formerly a Liberal, I like to think I can put myself into both ideological mindsets. But a post recently made to my Blog and Blogcritics called “The Bag” left me speechless with incomprehension.

“The Bag” is a short and sweet reminisce about a trip my sister and I made to NY City. I recounted the story about a bag, very small, one of those Hallmark things, left on the sidewalk and the argument I had with my sister’s eyebrows over whether I should claim the bag myself.

One of my Blog readers sent me a URL that I checked out. To discover, to my complete astonishment, the Blog owner quoted my entire post from my Blog, including the pictures.

Then the Blogger launched into a tirade, the meanness contained within being totally incongruent with the innocence of the story.

I ruminated for a week then came to the only conclusion possible.

Liberals are just plain unhappy.

This makes them very mean.

The United American Blog-Mean-ness HERE

Over these past few years, as my transformation from Liberal to rock-solid Conservative was taking place, it is this very meanness by Liberals that aided in my ideological change.

This and the fact that things have greatly changed since my days of marching against the Vietnam war while carrying candles in the rain.

I’ve listened to the Move-On people rant about nasty Americans. I’ve heard many of the liberal congress critters harp on about Abu-Gharab and Gitmo, even calling Gitmo comparable to Gulags and concentration camps. I’ve seen an unbridled hatred of our current President unbalanced almost in the vitriol.

Do people really believe that the transformation of Times Square and Manhattan happened because of 9/11?

Yes of course, the entire structure of Manhattan was changed since 9/11. It takes years to build buildings, idiots.

Downtown badly needs to be rebuilt, but somehow hasn't been.

Two things really upset me about this post: it was the author's first visit to Manhattan in 20 years, and 20 years it was so dingy and horrible. It wasn't. Obviously you don't appreciate ornate pre-war (World War Two) buildings, and yes it was less safe--crack epidemic--the years of Ford to city: drop dead had just ended, and we were using mostly private resources to redo the parks, Times Square and other places.


The Blogger obviously takes exception in the quote above to my allusion that the change in NY city since my earlier visit as being attributable to the 9/11 attacks.

Which I will admit was exactly my allusion.

Then the Blogger goes on about the things that upset her about my post. Getting “upset” about my post, let’s state right here, being an enormous over-reaction as I see it. But in my post that gets this poor unhappy human being so upset, I cite specific examples, very specific and TRUE examples, of the change in attitude of NY city since my earlier visit and the recent one with the incident of “The Bag”.

Sure, my examples are but anecdotes in a city teeming with millions of humans and the examples may, or may not, be indicative of a change in the “persona” of NY City from twenty years ago until now.

Although this Liberal Blogger really needs to get a clue. This is how tourists get an impression of places they may visit. They then go home and tell their family and friends. It’s a fact. All of us, even Liberals, form their mindsets and opinions on human interaction and our personal experiences.

In fact if 9/11 didn’t help change the atmosphere of NY city, for which an argument could be made that it DID as the city desperately needed to get their tourists back, then I’d argue it was the reign of mighty Rudy Guilianni that did the deed.

Either way, I still argue the NY City of my twenty year memory and the NY City of “The Bag” are almost two different cities in two different times.

The Blogger, who lives in NY city by the way, can think what she wants. Sometimes when one is in the middle of something they loose a perspective a casual visitor can note immediately.

Even more bizarre, the post had many comments after the original post.

”We don't need or want holier than thou tourists who are so proud of visiting our city because they could be putting their lives in danger.”

“Yet we have the whole (expletive deleted) country telling us that not only aren't we patriotic because we didn't vote for Bush but they are for visiting.

you and Karl Rove can kiss my New York tush.”

“Yes I'm angry over a bag because the writer used it to frame a cute stupid story when there was nothing cute about 9/11 or its aftermath”


Dear Lord! These people need to get a grip!

It was a NICE story. In fact, the Blogger herself states “Here it is: a cute anecdote in a cute blog”.

There were many more comments, most very nasty.

All of it a perfect example of the meanness Liberals carry in their hearts. Remembering that the Blog cited is a Liberal Blog.

Which makes me wonder why are Liberals so mean?

In my Liberal hayday I felt like I had a cause. A nasty rotten war in a steamy jungle destroyed my marriage when my young husband took off for Canada to avoid the draft. It was the height of the Civil Rights movement; an era when blacks still had to sit in the back of the bus. Women were routinely paid less than their male counterparts for doing the same work.

There was change to be made and as I looked around I felt I had to be a part of it. In fact, in another post made to my Blog and on Blogcritics about my experience with segregation at Baltimore’s old Gwynn Oak Park, the post was picked up by Baltimore’s Afro-American newspaper, I was interviewed, and they’re doing a feature article on it.

Hardly a mean Conservative am I.

In my Liberal days I too disliked the President. Heck, I was one of the five people who voted for George McGovern! But never, not ever, did I hate Nixon, Ford or even the hapless Carter, with the rage coursing through today’s Liberals for George Dubya. And as much as I hated that Vietnam war, I never spit on a returning serviceman or took every opportunity to paint them as evil torturers.

Yon readers may accept my analysis of mean Liberals, based on events and quotes as they currently occur and personalized by this experience, as being without merit.

As for myself, I am left inextricably with my perception that Liberals are just plain mean people.

Mean people are unhappy people.

There’s a time to be Liberal and, as Thomas Jefferson noted in his concept of “countervailing forces” , a time for the pendulum to swing the other way.

The pendulum across this country is now swinging towards Conservatism. Soldiers are no longer drafted. Our war on terrorism is based on an ATTACK on this country. Little Vietnam never attacked anybody. Blacks not only have equality, there’s been a long period of affirmative action to move things along. Women are now paid equal wages for equal work.

MY brand of Liberalism brought about change.

Liberals today are the unhappy people of the world with a common cause:

To be MEAN because it feels good.

More Editorials HERE

 Posted by Hello

Animal Planet and the NWF

My passion. Be sure to check it out.

The National Wildlife Federation has teamed up with Animal Planet to create Backyard Habitat, a new television series that makes the planet a better place for animals, one backyard at a time. Hosted by David Mizejewski of the National Wildlife Federation and TV personality Molly Pesce, each episode presents fun and simple ways to attract wildlife to your property, whether it's a balcony in the city or a large backyard. From butterfly gardens to turtle ponds to bird feeders, learn how to build, landscape and create a certified habitat at home where you can enjoy the simple pleasures nature has to offer every day. Coming in August. Tune in weekdays at 11:30 AM ET/PT.

~~~~~~~~~~
WORDS WOMEN USE
******************************
FINE
This is the word women use to end an argument when they feel they are right and you need to shut up. Never use "fine" to describe how a woman looks - this will cause you to have one of those arguments.

FIVE MINUTES
This is half an hour. It is equivalent to the five minutes that your football game is going to last before you take out the trash, so it's an even trade.

NOTHING
This means "something," and you should be on your toes. "Nothing" is usually used to describe the feeling a woman has of wanting to turn you inside out, upside down, and backwards. "Nothing" usually signifies an argument that will last "Five Minutes" and end with "Fine"

GO AHEAD (With Raised Eyebrows! )
This is a dare. One that will result in a woman getting upset over "Nothing" and will end with the word "Fine"

GO AHEAD (Normal Eyebrows)
This means "I give up" or "do what you want because I don't care" You will get a "Raised Eyebrow Go Ahead" in just a few minutes, followed by "Nothing" and "Fine" and she will talk to you in about "Five Minutes" when she cools off.

LOUD SIGH
This is not actually a word, but is a non-verbal statement often misunderstood by men. A "Loud Sigh" means she thinks you are an idiot at that moment, and wonders why she is wasting her time standing here and arguing with you over "Nothing"

SOFT SIGH
Again, not a word, but a non-verbal statement. "Soft Sighs" mean that she is content. Your best bet is to not move or breathe, and she will stay content.

THAT'S OKAY
This is one of the most dangerous statements that a woman can make to a man. "That's Okay" means that she wants to think long and hard before paying you back for whatever it is that you have done. "That's Okay" is often used with the word "Fine" and in conjunction with a "Raised Eyebrow."

GO AHEAD!
At some point in the near future, you are going to be in some mighty big trouble.

PLEASE DO
This is not a statement, it is an offer. A woman is giving you the chance to come up with whatever excuse or reason you have for doing whatever it is that you have done. You have a fair chance with the truth, so be careful and you shouldn't get a "That's Okay"

THANKS
A woman is thanking you. Do not ! faint. Just say you're welcome.

THANKS A LOT
This is much different from "Thanks." A woman will say, "Thanks A Lot" when she is really ticked off at you. It signifies that you have offended her in some callous way, and will be followed by the "Loud Sigh." Be careful not to ask what is wrong after the "Loud Sigh," as she will only tell you "Nothing"

More Miscellany posts HERE

 Posted by Hello

Comments on “The Bag”

”The Bag” Blog post here

From Blogcritics:
Comments: While I admire your moral decision (although it seems to me like it should have been a more obvious choice than you made it out to be), I still can\'t get past this one bit: you spotted an unattended bag outside the CNN building in Times Square in New York City and did not report it to the police. In today\'s political climate regarding terrorism, this could have been a potentially devastating mistake. Most likely, any unattended bag you find will be just that: an unattended bag. But what if this unattended bag had been one that put a crater in Times Square an hour later?



Times Square began being transformed about 20 years ago. We are the safest large city in the US and have been for many years now.

While most of us don\'t support the war in Iraq, we don\'t condone terrorism in any shape or form, and will always tell the police and/or The National Guard if we spot an unattended bag even if it\'s a plastic one that looks like it might contain somebody\'s lunch.

We have become a very tight knit city, and if any good came out of 9/11 (and nothing really good could have) it was that we prioritized our beliefs and realized that we\'re all in this together and not only have to get along but want to.

New York City was pretty great 20 years ago; our problem was more image than reality--the famous headline \"Ford to city; drop dead.\"

Many of my friends lived near Times Square then as we were young and the housing was cheap.

While I said that we made a concerted effort after 9/11 to get along; prior to that horrible day, most of us did anyway

Unfortunately while people perceived Times Square to be unsafe, it was much safer than large parts of other boroughs, and definitly safer than many large cities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
On “Dancing With the Stars”

Review 1 HERE
Review 2 HERE

Comments: Kelly Monaco is presented as a star of \"General Hospital,\" but I suspect more people know her as a centerfold model -- a job she is superdamn good at.

=====
Comments: Yes, admittedly the \"stars\" in in this tend to be of the low magnitude variety but really, given the amount of time that has to go into something like this what other sort are you going to get. However I predict that when it comes back (and ABC would be fools not to bring it back with the ratings it\'s been getting) they will get \"bigger\" names. I just hope they get a few more of them - anything to shut Tom Bergeron up.

=====
Comments: I really enjoy this new show and think John O\'Hurley and Charlotte are wonderful together. They have the \"it\" factor; charisma!

I have never voted on any type of TV competition but I\'m right there every Wednesday dialing and dialing that number 05.

====
~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Joran Van Der Sloot
I'd just like to point out a few facts to put a
perspective on Joran van der Sloot's behaviour as far as
drinking beer and going to nighclubs etc.

In continental Europe (Aruba follows the laws of Holland for the most part) people are treated like adults at an earlier age than in the U.S.. In continental Europe, where I grew up, a person is considered a 'young adult' at the age of 16 by law. One is allowed to go to pubs and drink beer and wine (not hard stuff) at the age of 16 (sixteen). In Aruba the bars and hotels post an 18 year age limit on the walls but this is intended for tourists which mainly come from America. They had some bad experiences with American 16 year olds drinking until they pass out and then their parents would show up and make a scene about serving alcohol to 'little children'.

For us growing up in Europe it seemed quite natural to go to a pub at the age of 16+ and have a couple of social beers with friends. Noone would get out of hand and if you did your friends would let you know how stupid you were.

So, as far as the Aruban Joran van der Sloot and his friends going out for a couple of socials drinks isn't absurd. He did graduate with honors and has physics and calculus advanced studies completed where he got A's and B's. It is really hard to believe that a 'normal' young adult as this would all of a sudden turn into a murderer.

My understanding is that he liked the girls and had his share of them (this is also not uncommon in Europe at this age) - so the notion that he would need to use a date rape drug on the girl doesn't sound right either.

I agree with Wm that I feel sorry for all of the families involved and think that if anything did happen it was probably an accident. My feeling is that if something did happen Joran would have called an ambulance or the police - just a personal feeling from what I've seen of him on the news. Just because he likes to party and have fun with girls isn't abnormal for a 17 year old European and doesn't make him a bad person - his achievements in school and from what his friends have said about him says alot to me.

--
Posted by Anonymous to The Kaitlyn Mae Book Blog at 6/26/2005 11:48:08 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: