Wednesday

Ads We'd Like to See-Visit Anwar; Miscellany-"Desiderata"; My 2005 Predictions-How Did I Do?

Coming as a New Year's Treat-The Best Short Story Ever Written
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


 Posted by Hello


Advice for Women to Avoid Abduction

Came across this on an email list I'm on and thought the tips were quite good. I'm not at all sure about that crying baby thing though.


1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!

2. Learned this from a tourist guide in New Orleans. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you....chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!

3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.

4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON'T DO THIS!) The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.

5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:

A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat

B..) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.

C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.

IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)

6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot).

7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN!

8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP. It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.

9. Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her "Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door."

The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, "We already have a unit on the way, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door." He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded, and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby crying outside their doors, when they're home alone at night.

~~~~~~~~~~


Desiderata

In all the world there is no greater piece of prose than “Desiderata”.

Of course this is a judgement thing but I feel compelled to post this for Kaitlyn Mae that she not miss the chance to read this poem/prose and try to live by the soothing words.

That part about being a “child of the universe” and having a “right to be here”, always moves me to tears. I recall once being the object of a school bully’s mistreatment. I was only about eight or so, that age when we physically fight to establish our schoolyard dominance but I’ll allow as maybe they don’t do that anymore. Even at that tender age I’d read “Desiderata” and was absorbed and taken by the beautiful words and thoughts.

As the schoolyard bully taunted me over I forget what, the thought that I was a child of the universe and I have a right to be here flew through my mind. I then beat that schoolyard bully senseless.

No doubt Max Ehrmann, the author of this beautiful work that had for so long considered as written by “anonymous”, would disapprove of my actions spurred by his poem. He does, further into the piece, advise to advise loud people who are “vexations to the spirit”.

He’s right of course. But at age eight I was too young for that nuance of word play. I know that on the day of the schoolyard bully I became comfortable with myself, my status as a child of the universe and my everlasting right to be here.

The same applies to every single person on this planet and that’s a fact. Sad how many don’t understand this deep in their psyche. I will state that every animal alive or now dead has no problem with their right to be here and are quite cool with a child of the universe status. They fight like the dickens to live and scramble to eat for survival and reproduce for the future. Most will never read “Desiderata” and most don’t care.

It’s THAT kind of basic sense that is incorporated into the words of this classic poem. Fashioned and framed in poetry/prose as only a human being could do.


There’s been quite a bit of controversy over the poem “Desiderata” over the years. It was once thought the piece was penned in the late 1600’s by an anonymous author. I’m not sure who Max Ehrmann is except he was affiliated in some fashion with St. Paul’s church in my own home town of Baltimore. Which is where a copy of the piece was found.

Here we have an article on the poem which includes the following information:


"Be Cheerful" or "Be Careful"?

There is some dispute regarding this phrase near the end of Desiderata. One of the publishers claims that Ehrmann himself changed the wording. Another story is that an errant publisher accidently changed it from "cheerful" to "careful."

We have chosen to use "cheerful" because it seems more in tune with the rest of the poem, and it appears in a version published by the Indiana Publishing Co. during Mr. Ehrmann's lifetime. We'll update this section if we discover more evidence of the truth.


And don’t forget Snopes.com which also has more information on “desiderata”.

And now, with no further ado, the poem DESIDERATA, here on the Kaitlyn Mae Blog, that she too will have the opportunity to grow from the wonderful words. I’ve added some pictures that I feel capture the spirit of the poem. Just my observation.

And Kaitlyn Mae, remember that during those times your life is in a distress situation, that no doubt the universe if unfolding as it should be.



Desiderata

Max Ehrmann

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.


Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.


Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.


Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.


Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.


With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.


Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.


===================================

More Miscellany posts HERE
==================

 Posted by Hello


Time to Check Those 2005 Predictions

Here it is, copied with no editing from my 2005 Prediction Post.

Below my quoted comments about my predictions.

Grandmother’s Predictions for the Year of Our Lord, 2005

My predictions for this coming year will follow the same pattern as my posts of events in the year just passed. Yes, I’m going to go out on a limb and make some wild and wooly predictions just for interest.

We shall check my predictions at the year’s end of the year of our Lord 2005, and see how I did.


Now I keep my promise made a year ago to revisit my 2005 predictions. My current comments are bolded.


International Predictions

The Wise I predicts that Iraq will have elections to form a constitutional committee, scheduled to happen by Jan. 19, I believe. They will be successful and slowly but surely that country will embattle its way to freedom and democracy. The House of Saud will shake in fear and little Assad in Syria will be peeing his pants.

I’d have to call my above prediction right on the money.
=============================================

I also predict, duh, that the United Nations will continue to be sidelined in the current tsunami crisis. Also, and this is very important, I predict that the death toll from the tsunamis will be WAAAAAY less than originally predicted.

Just a hunch.

I think I was wrong in that the tsunami death toll was very high, in fact exceeded original estimates. I was right about the UN though.
=============================================

The year 2005 will bring major gains in efforts to bring peace to Palestine. Indeed, this pathetic thorn in the world’s side will finally be brought, kicking and screaming, to a current reality. Israel, meanwhile, will continue to build the Wall as a “trust but verify” method of easing its citizens to a restless peace. It won’t all happen this year, but look for great gains in this arena.

Right again. Witness the Gaza pullout. Witness the new Palestinian Prime Minister. Yes, there’s a long way to go yet but I DID say it wouldn’t happen all in one year.
==========================================
National Predictions

This is a tough one. There’s a lot of irons in the fire right now.

First, I predict that Bush will get most of his judicial nominees confirmed despite Democratic bluster. The Dems have overplayed the public’s abortion fears, which is their main reason for denying these nominees last year.

Now the Dems are forced to play their filibuster threat knowing they do NOT have the public’s backing. I say they back down.

Turns out there was no filibuster due to that “gang of 14”. But Bush did get John Roberts through handily. And who on earth could have predicted Hariette Miers, overthrown by Bush’s own base?
=============================================

Here’s a wild and wooly prediction: A serious, almost successful attempt, will be made on President Bush’s life. Although, it must be understood that on this I hope I am wrong. Yet for so long I’ve been uneasy in that an assassination might be considered as a final desperate action to stop democracy where the thugs have oil-moneyed control. In fact, I suspect that behind the scenes there’s been plenty of interruptions of possible assassination attempts, either in their plotting infancy even up to an almost implement able plan. I fear the best laid plans of mice, men and all that. Sooner or later a tiny mistake, an underestimation, who knows.

I don’t, however, think such an action will be successful. But the American public WILL know about it.

There was an attempt to lob a grenade at President Bush during a recent trip but it was lame and got nowhere. I am glad this prediction was wrong.
=============================================

Again I don’t think the Dems are going to gain any ground by fighting Bush’s overhaul and partial privatization of social security. This is another of their favorite issues but again, over-playing their hand. This country’s demons of yore are not the demons we face today.

I predict Bush will push through social security reform handily.

I was totally wrong on this. That social security reform got pushed aside due to the many hurricanes, the brutal war in Iraq and the Democratic attack machine that forced Bush to spend his time defending himself.
=============================================

Here’s my final wild card. As a result of the many questions over the recent elections, both local and national, Bush will, in a surprising move, push through election reform.

He will use his national podium to describe a better, more efficient and accurate system of voting. He will use the Dems own words against them, that “making every vote” count thing.

Although it is unconstitutional for the federal government to dictate voting methodologies within the states, the federal government can control this like they do every other thing in the states: offering beaucoup federal dollars towards the installation of new state voting systems and methodologies.

This might even be announced in Bush’s 2005 State of the Union speech.

Well this is really, really wrong. Bush never mentioned election reform at all this past year.
============================================


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Major Events for Kaitlyn Mae

Not that it’s all that hard to predict where a going-on-two year old will go in that year of life following her first.

She’s an American baby, sweet Granddaughter, and will likely continue to learn about life, for sure she will start talking, who knows, maybe she’ll start reading my Blog.

My wild prediction for sweet Granddaughter is that she will become, in her second full year of life, quite the dancer.

You read that right. For Kaitlyn has been a baby wanting to dance since she learned to bounce up and down. She’s struggled to walk just as soon as her limbs would allow, even, at one desperate point, inventing her own way of walking.

Ah, but it is the art of the dance this child wants to embrace.

Check out this Blog to see how Kaitlyn progresses.

In fact Kaitlyn has become quite the dancer. She also seems to want to sing.
=============================================



How About the Pop Culture?

The Wise I does not disdain American pop culture like the more famous pundits like to put on. Indeed I consider our pop culture to be almost as important an indicator of the country’s personality as our politics.

I predict that Michael Pervert Jackson will finally go behind bars. His trial will finally come to fruition and this time I think the prosecutors got him solid.

Only, okay, here’s my wild card. Jackson will NEVER go to jail. Predict a Michael Jackson suicide should the day arrive in 2005 when it’s time to lead him to the Big House.

Very wrong on this one.
================
The West Wing, in a bow to last year’s elections, will have more conservative influence. President Bartlett can not run for re-election. Fine time to get a Republican in the picture.

Right. Alan Alda plays the part of John McCain, Republican moderate, in this year’s West Wing.
=============================================



Garden Predictions for 2005

I’m not sure how to predict for a garden.

But hey, let’s go out on a limb and predict that my Rose of Sharon bushes, twigs really when I planted them in front of my front side fence last year, will take off and show me how they enjoy their new spot.

And don’t forget the Canna! This year, Grandmother’s garden will have blooming canna.

Finally, 2005 might be the year Grandmother finally finds a weeping crab apple tree somewhere on this planet.

For more information on what the hell I’m talking about, refer to my garden catalogue missive.

None of the above came true in my garden. Alas.
=============================================


True Crime Predictions

Well how can I predict future true crimes? Without actually predicting them then going out and committing them?

I will assert that any true crimes in the future will heavily involve the Internet in some form or fashion. The medium is, regrettably, a find vehicle on which to plot, scheme and implement nefarious deeds.

Finally, Lisa Montgomery will go on trial late in the year and if you think Scott Peterson’s trial was excruciating, wait until you experience this bizarre trial.

Perhaps by then I will have completed, insert wink here, Carl Boman’s book about his life with this famed murderer.

Lisa Montgomery’s trial did not take place this year. I did work with Carl on the book but decided I was not up to the task. I still consider Carl and Lisa’s daughters my friends and nice people who didn’t deserve this tragedy foisted upon them.


There you have it. Copied exactly as posted in early 2005. I’d give myself a “C” as a prognosticator. Stay tuned for my 2006 predictions will be up in early January. Maybe I’ll do better.
~~~~~~~~~~
More Editorials HERE

No comments: