Saturday

American Idol 2006-The Guys. One has Winner Written All Over Him; Kaitlyn is Deep in the Throes of the Terrible Twos

Blogcritics Feature Stories of the Week

  • There's No Way You're Not Coming Back
    by Diana Hartman

    "This is absurd, this hero's welcome for a box, not for my love
    There's no way you're not coming back, I know you'll be coming home

    My knees are weak, my heart is heavy. The sun beats down my mood
    When are you coming home my love? The shots rang out at half past noon"




  • Myth and Education

    by John Spivey

    I've read much commentary over the years about the state of education in our country, most of it voiced by politicians and citizens who've never taught and some of it voiced by frustrated teachers. I've never read an account, though, by someone who has taught at a highly successful school. I did, so I want to stop and tell you about Santa Barbara Middle School.



     Posted by Hello



    TV Review: American Idol 2006-The Top Twelve Guys
    Image hosted by Photobucket.comOn Wednesday, 2/22/06, on a night following the premiere of the top twelve American Idol 2006 female contenders, the boys stepped up to the microphone. Judge Randy swears this year's contest is there for the boys to lose, i.e., Randy, at least, thinks a fellow will win this year.

    Come to think of it, it is time for the guys to take a bow. So far, by my rough math, there's been more female winners than males. In fact, there's only been one male winner in this series so far. So perhaps Randy is right.

    Thus we looked over the top twelve male contenders with a jaundiced and critical eye. And I think I've spotted just the winner Randy sees.

    First the guys I don't think are going to walk away with the prize.

    First up, a likeable fellow, 27 years old and very cute. Patrick Hall sang "Come to My Window" , a song I normally like but Hall's performance was more a good Karaoke version than that of a professional singer as the American Idol would be expected to perform. With all the flirting going on between Hall and Judge Paula Abdul if nothing else, Patrick might find a place next to Paula on a more personal basis, insert wink here.

    David Radford performed "This Thing Called Love" and I couldn't clear my mind of the visions of Las Vegas and little chapels along the highway. Which is where Radford would be a fine performer but as the country's next Idol? I don't think so. Judge Randy hated Radford's performance almost viscerally.

    Buck Covington is a fellow with what he thinks is a voice like Bruce Springsteen. Covington had The Boss's somewhat raspy voice only ...not so good. Buck performed "Simple Man" and again, a karaoke performance.

    The next contender I considered not a possibility for the grand prize wore a white fedora, sung in a high falsetto voice and had parents who sung him some odd bedtime tunes. I speak of Jose "Sway" Penala who sang "Reasons" by Earth, Wind and Fire. This is the song Jose says his parents sang to him at bedtime. An odd bedtime melody as I see it. Jose's had a nice moment of glory in the 2006 series of American Idol. I don't see him walking off a winner.

    I don't see Elliott Yamin making it to the top spot either but I must caution that Judge Randy couldn't say enough good things about this fellow. Yamin sang Stevie Wonder tune "If You Really Loved Me". First, Elliott is a really bad dresser and I wonder if these contestants dress themselves for these first rounds of elimination. Second, and I say this softly, but Elliott doesn't really have the "look" of a major pop singer. Which is not just because Elliott's not all that handsome but add this to his awkward performance style and his bad dress, well it's not winning material. His song choice was rather bland as well.

    Bobby Bennett is a heavyset young man but a fine dresser. Bobby sang Manilow's "Copa Cabana", a kicky tune but no, I don't see Bennett winning this thing. Although I will say Bobby seemed to really be enjoying himself as he performed.

    There were three contenders in this introduction to American Idol's top twelve males in this year of our Lord, 2006, that I think have a chance for the top spot but for now they're not, for various and sundry reasons, not my top three picks.

    Kevin Covais is from New York and he is 16 years old. He looks like a puppy. Covais performed "One Less Cry" by Brian McKnight and I loved it. Kevin has a great voice. Judge Simon called Brian's performance "excruciating" but I say not.

    Gedeon McKinney is a contender that is alleged to always sport a smile on his face. Gedeon performed "Shout", a fast paced tune and McKinney displayed a good voice range. Someone needs to help Gedeon choose his outfits because his performance of that song in his nerdy outfit was a tad incongruous. Judge Simon, God love him, said Gedeon's smile "bothers him". I thought Gedeon's smile to be his best asset.

    The last performer of the evening, a Taylor Hicks from Alabama, left me unimpressed. To my complete surprise, the judges loved him. I thought he had a nice voice as they all do on some level. Hicks sang "Leave On", an Elton John tune. First thing, Hicks' penchant for snapping his fingers as he sang struck me as an odd and not appealing affect. But since the judges loved him so maybe they see something in this fellow's rather sloppy dress and most ordinary of looks.

    Image hosted by Photobucket.com


    We move on to my top three choices, at least based on the performances of the first evening. Beginning with a Bobby Brady doppelganger, one Will Makar from Texas. Makar sang the Jackson Five's "I Want You Back" and my goodness this young man is a cutie pie. I can see teenyboppers across the land furiously hitting their speed dials to vote for this appealing young man.

    Chris Daughtry performed an impressive version of "Wanted Dead or Alive". This fellow has a great voice and the word "outstanding" leapt immediately to my listening ears. Judge Simon thought it a great choice of a song.

    We end with a soft whisper, listen closely to the willows rustling in the spring breezes. "Ace," the willows say softly to the passing wind. Listen closer and you'll hear the word softly spoken on the morning talk shows. "Ace", the soft words say.

    Thus I heard of Ace Young way before I either met or heard him. The whispers continue across the Blogosphere and it seems the world awaits Ace Young, a betting choice for the 2006 American Idol.

    It wasn't that Ace Young was the best singer of the evening because he was not. Ace-what a great name for a singing Idol, eh?- sang "Father Figure" and his voice was fine and sturdy.

    Ace Young has that star quality, that "X factor" as Simon referred to it. He's hip, current and cute.

    If this is the year of the boys as Randy alleges, Ace Young is very likely the boy who will bring it home.

    I looked for the first two guys eliminated to be Jose and Bobby Bennett. I predicted in this post on the American Idol girls of 2006 that the first two girls to be eliminated would be Stevie Scott the opera singer and Heather Cox.

    It wouldn't be long before I would see the results as in that same week that the top twelve males and females performed, on Thursday 2/23/06, the first of the eliminations began. Two girls were eliminated, two boys were eliminated.

    The females eliminated were Becky O'Donohue who I described in this post as ”not having much of a voice”, and Stevie Scott who I predicted in the same post would be eliminated this first round.

    The males eliminated were Bobby Bennett and Patrick Hall. Check above. I predicted Bobby’s elimination and didn’t think too much of Patrick.

    So I accurately predicted 50% of those eliminated and panned those not predicted. Tune in as the process unwinds.

    Let’s all watch Ace win this thing.



    More TV Reviews HERE

     Posted by Hello


    Dancing With the Stars-Finale 2/26/06

    I’ve watched them all and it’s been a most enjoyable series. The contenders began with the following:

    All Celebrity Dancers
    George Hamilton
    Lisa Rinna
    Kenny Mayne
    Stacy Keibler
    Drew Lachey
    Tia Carriere
    P. Miller-Master P
    Giselle Fernandez
    Jerry Rice
    Tatum O'Neal

    The Judges are Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli , Carrie Ann Inaba.

    It’s now down to:
    Finalists
    Stacy Keibler
    Drew Lachey
    Jerry Rice

    The grand finale is scheduled for Sunday, 2/26/06, ABC, at 8 pm.

    I opined in this post that Drew might run away with this thing although I’d have to give the nod to Stacy Keibler as the best dancer. By me, the lady looks every bit as good as her professional partner. I also speculated that since this series is watched by a mostly female demographic, that Drew Lachey could steal it away from Stacy by virtue of that female vote.

    Image hosted by Photobucket.comAlthough Jerry Rice is still a contender and he shouldn’t be ruled out. On Thursday, 2/23/06, the three remaining couples showed their stuff. They danced two dances that evening, one a so-called “free style” for which there were no mandatory movies or specific dances. Jerry and his partner scored a 26 out of a possible 30 for the first dance. For the couple’s free style dance, well you had to like their gigantic Afro hair props. Rice scored a 27 out of 30 for this dance.

    I still think Jerry Rice looks slightly awkward although in any other universe he’d be considered a fine dancer, especially what with being a football player and everything. Up against the very cute Drew Lachey and talented beautiful Stacy Keibler, Rice doesn’t hold a candle.

    If Rice comes in anywhere else but third I shall be shocked. Although he will forever be one of my sentimental favorites and I consider him a very personable fellow.

    Image hosted by Photobucket.comDrew Lachey has proven himself to be a talented dancer and said talent appears natural. When this very handsome fellow moves around that floor it’s as if he doesn’t give his movement any thought. Throughout the competition he and his partner performed beautifully and on the last night for them to strut their stuff the team performed a paso doble and of course, their free style routine. During the paso doble, the judges pronounced Drew the “best guy” (a hint, perhaps, of Drew’s standing against Rice?). Drew’s free style routine was almost too cute. Indeed Drew wore a cowboy outfit and performed one of the most original dance routines I’ve witnessed … ever. For this originality, coupled with Drew’s fluid movements on the dance floor, Drew received a perfect score. The couple also received a perfect score for their paso doble.

    Image hosted by Photobucket.comAh, Stacy Keibler. Beautiful, perfect body, long glorious legs. Who cares if she can dance?

    But she can dance and I’ve yet to see her stumble. Stacy and her partner performed a jive for their first dance and the visual was perfect. Even in high heels and skimpy outfits, she whirls and moves with an enthusiasm and style that is almost joyful.

    Except, alas, Stacy messed up a bit for her free style. Stacy and her partner performed to the BeeGees’ “Staying Alive”. So far, it seemed, so good.

    Actually Stacy’s performance was perfectly fine. Except it was rather dull save for a sexiness that is always part of Stacy’s performances. Compared to Drew Lachey, Stacy and her partner’s performance for the free style dance was lackluster and ho-hum.

    Based on the judges’ point awards, Drew has won this thing. Based on who is really the better dancer between Stacy and Drew, I’d have to go with Stacy.

    However, going out on a limb, I’m thinking Drew is going to win this thing.

    Viewer demographics and Drew’s amazing free style dance are going to push him to the top.

    More TV Reviews HERE

     Posted by Hello


    Those Terrible Twos

    It would seem that Kaitlyn is deep in the throes of the terrible twos. Driving her mother to almost total distraction she is and I consider when Kaitlyn’s mother was two.

    I survived. Barely.

    They’re little learning machines, human two-year-olds. They are learning the language, they are learning how to manipulate pudgy little fingers, they are wondering why toys have so many pieces when each individual piece is a marvel in itself.

    Kaitlyn has lots of toys with many pieces and she’s just lately learning the purpose of all the pieces.

    Her toy kitchen has pots, pans, dishes, cutlery, hamburgers, toast and eggs. Her toy house has a cat, a Mommy, a Daddy, tables and chairs and furniture. Kaitlyn enjoys every piece but the totality of the thing is beginning to make sense to her.

    Two-year-olds-soon the world will make sense; soon the toys and games will equal the sum of their pieces; soon awkward fingers become nimble and language becomes fluent.

    It’s why the “terrible twos” are so terrible. Somehow their human brains manage to learn all of this in one busy hectic year.

    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    More Kaitlyn posts HERE
  • No comments: