Sunday

The 2006 Annual Academy Fashion Awards-the Good, the Bad, the Really Ugly. Smiling Sunday-Fishgiggles and Pics of the Week

Blogcritics Feature Stories of the Week

  • Pop Cult Mind Wax - Brokeback Mountain, The Proposition, Same-Sex Obsession

    Duke De Mondo
    The trials and tribulations of a pretentious, self-obsessed, lust-stricken twentysomething, as glimpsed through the throb of pop culture.



  • World Baseball Classic: Clutch Hit or Wild Pitch?

    Matthew T. Sussman
    I admit it — I'm geeked for the World Baseball Classic. I snuck-watched a few Pool A games from Tokyo, which aired live on TV at the wee hours of the morning.

    But I've also noticed that a lot of people have been critical of this inaugural tournament, probably for good reason. So I decided to strike a dialogue with one of these critics with a Blogcritic, sportswriter and Indians fan Zach Baker.



     Posted by Hello


    The 2006 Academy Awards Fashion Report

    Image hosted by Photobucket.com


    Popular wisdom has it that very few of the American public watching the Academy Awards have seen the movies nominated. Which would include my own self in that I don’t do movies. I do however, like much of America, tune into the annual Hollywood love fest to see the action and be entertained.

    The fashion of the stars catches my eye and so I must comment. For like it or not, styles set by the Hollywood set are often emulated across the nation. In the interest of providing advance notice of fashion trends to come, a compendium of fashion notes follows. Including, heh, some style categories never before invented.

    In the interest of band width, only a few pictures of the source of my fashion critiques are not provided. However, a link to a picture of the comment is provided for any reader intrigued enough to have a look-see.

    This is not an Academy Award show review. If interested in more details on the actual winners and such, here’s one Blogcritics’ Oscar review and here’s another.

    Moving on to an overall feeling of the 2006 Oscar fashion.

    There were no spiky hairstyles at this years Academy Award extravaganza. I also noted, to my complete surprise, that make-up was sparing, almost bare. Indeed the hairstyles of the stars were glamorous, often upswept in a fetchingly casual manner.

    Sandra Bullock was one actress sporting the barest of make-up and at first I thought perhaps she forgot the application.

    Before moving on to our special fashion awards, below the compilation of best male attire at this year’s Oscar awards.

    Image hosted by Photobucket.com


    The award for “weirdest dress” goes to Cherise Theron.
    I don’t know what Theron was thinking when she tried on that outer space thing with its pointy angles jutting in all directions. And that pouf thing on the shoulder, well I just don’t know. Theron was sporting one of those dramatic up-dos so popular at the Oscar festivities this year.

    Just for giggles and grins, we have a picture of those fashion gurus, Joan and Melissa Rivers. Joan is wearing some sort of feather thing and Melissa Rivers is fetching in a form-fitting number.

    The award for “best necklace” goes to Keira Knightley. I had a chance to see that puppy up close during an audience span and I think those are sapphires hanging around that neck. Big sapphires. Really big.

    Here’s a picture of the inside of the Kodak Theater. It’s included simply because I had to wonder what else might be presented in such a plush place beyond the Academy Awards.

    While Dolly Parton didn’t make my best-dressed list, I was enamored of her pink frock. It was almost a candy confection, Dolly’s dress. Embellishments abounded in the form of lace and frou-frou on the straps. Then a happening belt tied it all together and charmingly emphasized Dolly’s tiny waist. This isn’t a dress one would wear to work but the frock had “Dolly Parton” written all over it.

    The award for the “couple who most look alike” goes to Ang Lee and his wife. Mrs. Lee, goodness, she couldn’t find a gown for the festivities?

    Of course we must have an award for “the most low cut dress”. This year, the award goes to Felicity Huffman. Indeed, woman, the thing plunges almost to your waist! No wait. It goes all the way to her waist! With tiny little boobs peeking out, the gown is very alluring and not quite x-rated.

    The award for the most bling-bling has to go to Jennifer Aniston. Whose very presence at the awards ceremony puzzles me but some jeweler thought enough of her star quality to drape her neck with diamonds that would weigh down a horse.

    We mention Amy Adams’ frock because it is, overall, a pretty thing. Except, please, what is that thing in the front? It looks like a Madonna dress dance prop hastily affixed to the front of the gown.

    Finally, ta-da, my own winners of the fashion parade for the 78th annual Academy Awards.

    Image hosted by Photobucket.com


    Reese Witherspoon not only won an award, she gave the best speech of the night. What a pretty woman. And Uma, big kiss. That dress fit you like a fine glove and won you best-dressed honors by this humble blogger.

    As for Naomi Watts, it appears that Watts took a roll of toilet paper after my cat clawed it to shreds and sewed it directly onto her bodice.

    Meow.

    ===========


    More TV Reviews HERE
     Posted by Hello


    On the Bible


    Image hosted by Photobucket.com


    10. "Did anyone think about bringing a couple of umbrellas?"
    9. "Hey, there are more than two flies in here!"
    8. "Wasn't someone supposed to put two shovels on board?"
    7. "OK, who's the wise-guy who brought the mosquitoes on board?"
    6. "Help! I need some Pepto for the elephants, QUICK!"
    5. "Don't Make Me Pull This Ark Over And Come Back There!"
    4. "No Ham, you cannot eat the Pig!"
    3. "And whatever you do, DO NOT pull this plug out."
    2. "Nice Doggie!"
    AND THE NUMBER ONE THING OVERHEARD ON NOAH'S ARK.....
    1. "Are We There Yet?"


    ~~~~~~~~~~
    On Home Maintenance


    When our lawn mower broke and wouldn't run, my wife kept hinting to me that I should get it fixed. But, somehow I always had something else to take care of first -- the truck, the car, fishing, always something more important to me

    Finally she thought of a clever way to make her point. When I arrived home one day, I found her seated in the tall grass, busily snipping away with a tiny pair of sewing
    scissors.

    I watched silently for a short time and then went into the house.
    I was gone only a few minutes.
    When I came out again, I handed her a toothbrush.

    "When you finish cutting the grass," I said, "you might as well sweep the sidewalk."

    The doctors say I will eventually walk again, but I will always have a limp.


    More Fish Giggles HERE
     Posted by Hello


    Interesting Transport and a Cartoon
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com


    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    More pics of week HERE
  • No comments: