Monday

Birds-Redtailed Hawks and Robins; Some Great Bird Photography

A redtailed hawk dares to threaten a robin’s family; an excellent nature photographer struts her stuff.

Pic of the Day
Bad dog tears up couch




Quote of the Day

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best."

~Henry Van Dyke~



Web Site Worth the Visit
Animal School

Here’s a pretty music-accompanied story about animals and the skills they possess and why. Sound on. Good to watch with younger children.

ANIMAL SCHOOL



TIDBITS

Which were 'gleaned' from the 'Net....

  • A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

  • A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

  • A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will find yourself looking forward to the trip.

  • A flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries.

  • All generalizations are false, including this one.

  • Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.

  • Always try to be modest and be proud of it!

  • Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

  • Borrow money from pessimists; they don't expect it back.

  • Despite the rising cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?

  • Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.

    And...

    From the men's corner:

  • "You know 'that look' women get when they want sex? ....... Me neither." Steve Martin

  • "Getting married for the sex is like buying a 747 for the free peanuts" Jeff Foxworthy

    Lastly and most definitely , the least....

  • In an interview with GQ, Paris Hilton stated that she is paid up to $500,000 to open events and appear at functions. Recently she was invited to Austria where all she had to do was wave and say that she loved Austria..... Her pay?

    $1,000,000! - 'Nuff said!


  •  Posted by Hello


    The Robin and the Redtailed Hawk


    Red Tailed Hawk I was very surprised, and pleased, when a juvenile redtailed Hawk landed in the black walnut tree adjacent to my porch. Hawks are beautiful birds and it isn’t often one gets to see one up so close.

    But I knew there was a nest of robins in that tree and I feared the hawk would go after the nestlings. Anxiously I watched the tree for any sign of the robins. Soon one robin flew out of the tree. I think, but am not at all sure, it was the female robin. I don’t know if she was feeding the babies or still sitting on the nest. Their nest was up so high that I was only able to monitor the nest-building activities and I had no idea whether the eggs had hatched.

    Which didn’t much matter because the eggs or hatchlings were in danger from the hawk and I wondered where on earth was Daddy robin.

    I saw the hawk fly up towards the nest and now I figured I myself must take some action. Sure I don’t like to mess with Mother Nature and it could have been, as nature demanded, that some pretty robins’ eggs would end up as a hawk’s lunch. Despite my best of intentions I could not sit still and watch that hawk kill those baby birds.

    Now what I intended to do about it I had no idea. I figured if I yelled and screamed I might scare the hawk out of the tree and save the robins. I left the porch, still wondering where the male robin was as it was HIS job, not mine, to protect the nest. I positioned myself beneath the tree and prepared to scare a hawk.

    From out of nowhere a bird flew in quicker and more determined than a jet plane.
    I had no idea robins could fly that fast! That male robin zoomed in from somewhere and I must say I was impressed. He was a mad parent bird and I could see it in his demeanor. His wings were spanned wide and he positively soared across the sky with quick speed.

    Within seconds one immature redtailed hawk was flying furiously out of that tree with one very mad robin giving it chase. I was so damn impressed with that male robin that I cheered him on as he chased that hawk across the skies, biting and pecking him as he flew. At one point I even gave a lusty cheer to this robin who protected his family with every instinct he had. At one point I considered that the male robin was maybe overdoing it but hey, he was mad as hell and wasn’t going to take it anymore.

    I saw the female robin come back to the nest so I assume she was still incubating the eggs. I also assume, but have no proof, that she went and found her mate after flying out of the tree at the assault by the hawk.

    That male robin finally got done with that hawk, poor thing might never get over it, and he was still mad. So he went after every bird in the surround, even those who weren’t doing a thing.

    Victory. The robin family was safe. One immature redtailed hawk will likely not come back to that black walnut tree.

    Bird Photographer Extraordinaire

    I belong to an email list that is blessed with an excellent nature photographer. Below is a montage of some of the pictures she has compiled.

    Below is all information to view more scenes captured by a photographer with a keen eye.


    Subscribe: NaturalBeautyInPA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    Unsubscribe: NaturalBeautyInPA-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
    List owner: NaturalBeautyInPA-owner@yahoogroups.com


    To visit the main page, click http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NaturalBeautyInPA/

    To visit our webpage, click http://wiebach.us/

    Sapsucker,heron,swallow bird montage


    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


    More Gardens and Bird posts HERE
    =====================

    No comments: