Wednesday

American Idol 07-Blake, Jordin or Melinda?

ELIMINATED THE NIGHT OF 5/16/07:
Melinda Doolittle


It's down to three and this post will be put up right after the elimination show.

Will Blake, Jordin or Melinda be sent home?


Pic of the Day
A Woman Scorned, pics of things women do when mad as hell




Quote of the Day
GREATEST MORAL ISSUE

"People talk a lot about moral issues, but the greatest moral issue facing our generation is the fact that we are bankrupting the next generation."

- Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Oklahoma)


Web Site Worth the Visit
Fall Asleep While Shooting Sheep

Well counting sheep to fall asleep is so boring. Why not SHOOT them?

Click on this site and see how quick your reactions are. It's fun. Beware, you think you're doing great, but you're not.

ABOVE SITE HERE



TIDBITS

Humorous Household Hints

  • Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
  • My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint. ~Erma Bombeck
  • Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing. ~Phyllis Diller,
  • One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duck tape to make them stop.
  • I'd stop eating chocolate, but I'm no quitter!
  • Have you ever noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot ... and anyone going faster is a maniac!
  • The phrase "working mother" is redundant. Jane Sellman
  • A clean house is the sign of a broken computer.
  • A poor excuse is better than none at all.
  • After all is said and done, usually more is said than done.
  • I've always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
  • One of life's mysteries is how a 2 pound box of candy can make a woman gain 5 lb..
  • My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.
  • I'd clean house but I'd hate to disappoint the dust bunnies!
  • The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight because by then, your body and your fat are really good friends.
  • Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.
  • Amazing! You hang something in your closet for awhile and it shrinks two sizes!
  • A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
  • A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen ... and this kitchen is delirious.
  • Help keep the kitchen clean - Eat OUT!
  • Housework done properly can kill you.
  • What's the point of being stupid if you can't prove it every once in a while?
  • I don't know what apathy is and I don't care!
  • I wish there was a knob on the TV for intelligence. There's one for brightness, but it doesn't work.
  • If you can't change your mind, are you sure you still have it?
  • There are three ways to get something done: do it yourself, hire someone, or forbid your kids to do it.
  • For every complicated problem there is a simple, easy to understand, wrong answer


  •  Posted by Hello


    American Idol 2007-Top Three Culled Down to Top Two

    REMINDER-the narrative below was written BEFORE the elimination show on the evening of 5/16/07.

    So "American Idol 2007" has narrowed down to three and by this point, all of the contenders are equal in terms of singing talent each brings to the Pop Culture Music Arena. Which does not mean that the top three, or the top five for that matter, aren't very different, each with their own special style, vocal range and ideal music genre.

    Thus the winner from this point on is determined by the whim of millions of Americans who dial for their favorite Idol based on goodness knows what.

    Myself has favored Jordin Sparks right from the very day she walked into her audition. It's been with joy that I've watched my choice grow and flourish to return every week up until this writing. If pressed to elaborate on my choice of Jordin to win this year's contest, I'd likely be vague and wave my hands all about as if the choice was obvious.

    We're looking for a musical superstar here. We're looking for someone with a broad appeal but we can tolerate a smaller music genre so long as the genre is not too obsolete. Country/western singers do well in the American Idol series as this music genre is a popular American style. Gospel music singers have a bit of a more difficult road to hoe to win the thing although it's possible. In general, while the past American Idols have gone on to specialize in their own music genre, it is usually a singer who can "convince" America that their appeal is wide who will win. Kelly Clarkson now be-bops around with popular hip-hop type of music while Fantasia sings the gospel. Yet each of these former winners convinced the country that they could sing Whitney as well as Bon Jovi and embraced all music genres equally.

    As I see it, Jordin Sparks fits that rather complicated profile as I've indicated above. Jordin also brings a beauty and freshness of youth to the table and while the musical talent is most important, do not undermine the importance of looks in any career involving a stage and an audience.

    On the evening of 5/15/07, each of the three finalists were assigned two songs to sing: one by one of the vaunted judges Randy, Paula and Simon, and one by some nebulous being called "the producers". The third song was chosen by each finalist themselves. An interesting sidelight on this show was for each contender to be asked a question by a viewer, the contender's response intended to give us, the viewing audience and the voters, an insight into the personalities of the final three. This insight, I surmise, could slip the scales in favor or out of favor for those voters still on the fence.

    Frankly the questions were a bit stupid in that matter of silly "catch-all" questions given to beauty contestants. Only one of the final three responses even caught my attention, more on this later.

    Jordin Sparks montage from AI 5/15/07


    Jordin began by singing a tune chosen by Simon called "Wishing on a Star". It's a song with which I was unfamiliar but as expected, young Jordin did a fine job as I would expect. The producers chose a popular tune "She Works Hard for the Money" and I noted dutifully as I always do, that Jordin displayed amazing vocal talent and don't forget this sweet thing is only 17 years old.

    As her choice of song, Jordin chose a beautiful but old song "I, Who Have Nothing....". Well it was just the best song for Jordin in that a viewer could easily imagine a youthful and pretty Jordin brushed aside by a male gold-digger who chose wealth over genuine love. In fact, curmudgeon judge Simon struggle to form the same explanation as I offer above but then Simon is no wordsmith. Heh. It was almost calculated, Jordin choosing that song. I mean each singer could choose any song and I'm skeptical that this song, almost 60 years old or so Simon asserts, is Jordin's all-time favorite. Jordin, or her advisors, chose that song because a)it aptly displayed her fine voice, vocal talents and range and b) Jordin could REALLY be the actress singing that song...the whole thing suits her.

    Blake Lewis montage from 5/15/07


    We move on to Blake Lewis and let me state two truths right now: 1)I think Blake Lewis will be sent home the evening after I pen this narrative and 2)Blake's response to an audience question was the only one out of all three contenders that caused me to take a second look.

    First, Blake's broad appeal, such as I maintain is needed to win an American Idol first place, is rough around the edges. Although, go with me here, Blake Lewis is extremely talented and if I were to be honest, pretty Jordin Sparks doesn't possess anywhere near the talent Blake possesses.

    Blake can dance, jive, be-bop, improvise and create amazing sounds with his voice. Blake is an all-around entertainer but he's kooky, a bit to the left, the kid who always seemed to be playing a set of imaginary drums in English class. With this contest down to three contenders, with one now to be FORCED off, I argue it's Blake's turn.

    And while one of the consolations often giving to those who come so close is that they have a bright career in front of them, I'd argue that in Blake's case it's really true. We have not heard the last of Blake Lewis. This fellow will have hit records, hit videos, perhaps a hit movie. Blake's talent will not be quelled and there may come a time when Blake will be more well known that Jordin Sparks ever will.

    As for the question Blake answered that intrigued me so, it was a question that asked him who would play him in the movie of his life.

    "Jim Carey," Blake responded with no hesitation.

    Well I am not surprised in the least. Jim Carey and Blake Lewis are soul mates now that Blake mentioned it. These are both people that are very talented and in possession of a demented genius that's almost scarey and a bit dark.

    For his first song of the night, a song Paula chose I must assume but I'm not sure, Blake sang "Roxanne". My husband, who rarely pays attention to American Idol even as the show blasts across the dining area close enough for him to hear, said just as soon as Blake began to sing "Whoever that is singing, he won't win".

    Husband's comment didn't surprise me. If one is merely listening to Blake Lewis sing a tired "Roxanne" one would likely figure that here's nothing great. Blake has to be looked at. Blake has to be listened to closely. Blake needs serious study in terms of his moves while singing, his musical improvisation, even his zany fashion style. It's all part of the package. My husband didn't observe any of this over the course of the 2007 contest and in all honesty, husband probably wouldn't recognize Blake's brand of genius if it bit him in the nose.

    Blake continued on to sing "This Love" and judge Randy thought this was Blake's style all wrapped up in a song. As his song choice, Blake sang "When I Get You Alone" and it was a good choice for him.

    This week, Blake had both blond and black hair. I didn't like it all that much but I understand that this is just Blake.

    Melinda Doolittle montage from 5/15/07


    Melinda's got one big thing going against her: she's not as young or as pretty as Jordin Sparks. The more musically inclined would argue that Melinda Doolittle is more talented musically on many levels than young Jordin and I wouldn't argue contrarily too awful much. Next week, unless Jordin really screws up, Melinda will be booted out.

    Which is not to say that Melinda Doolittle won't be a force to be reckoned with in terms of music, records, songs and that sort of thing. For Melinda can sing and she can sing anything.

    Randy chose a Whitney Houston song for Melinda to sing, "I Believe in You and Me". First, I was surprised because I've often heard with my own lying ears these judges chastise performers for choosing Whitney songs. And yet Randy did just that. Second, there are so many beautiful Whitney songs and by me, this is not one of the best.

    As I listened I thought Melinda had some screechy high notes and I didn't much care for that rather undramatic black and white zig-zag dress she wore. The judges all liked Melinda's performance and frankly Melinda can sing and to find a screech in her vocals might be to look too damn hard.

    Next Melinda sang an Ike and Tina Turner song with which I was not familiar, where on earth have I been? The song was "Nutbush City Limit" and it was a great tune, and a greater tune in that it fit Melinda's voice and style like a fine velvet glove.

    Melinda chose the tune "I'm a Woman" for herself and again, what better vocals, what better tune, what better melody and lyrics for Melinda Doolittle for this tune that she belted out in an a+ performance?

    As I've said, this narrative was written BEFORE the elimination on the night of 5/16/07 so I put my reputation, such as it is, on the line. Hey, I thought Taylor Hicks should have been sent home five nights sooner before he finally won the thing.

    Take me with a grain of salt....I'm just another Blogger with an opinion.

    For the performances on the night of 5/15/07:
    BEST PERFORMANCE-Melinda Doolittle-"I'm a Woman"
    BEST DRESS-Jordin Sparks' pretty pink confection
    BEST SONG CHOICE FOR VOICE-Melinda-"Nutbush City Limit"
    WORST PERFORMANCE-Blake-"Roxanne"-although I emphasize-this was NOT a bad performance.
    BIGGEST SURPRISE OF NIGHT-Randy picking a Whitney song for Melinda to sing
    MY GUESS AS TO NEXT ELIMINATION- Blake Lewis

    PREDICTIONS FOR TOP THREE WINNERS, in order indicated-
    Jordin Sparks
    Melinda Doolittle
    Blake Lewis

    Below, the TOP TWO American Idol Finals for 2007:
    Jordin Sparks
    Blake Lewis


    AMERICAN IDOL 2007 LINKS
    Seattle and Minneapolis 1/16/07 and 1/17/07
    Birmingham 1/30/07
    San Antonio 2/6/07
    The Top 24 2/12/2007
    First Four Eliminated
    3/1/07-Down to 16
    The Top Twelve
    Diana Ross and the Top Twelve
    British Invasion
    Gwen Stefani Tribute
    Andy Williams Special
    Jennifer Lopez Night
    Martina McBride Night
    Down to Top Five as Idol "Gives Back"
    Down to FOUR in 2007
    From Three to Two-Blake, Melinda or Jordin?


    More TV Reviews HERE
    ===============

    Digg!

    Add POST to Technorati Favorites
    =======================

    No comments: